I am a university teacher and a PhD candidate in nursing science at the University of Oulu in the Research Unit of Nursing Science and Health Management. Currently I am finishing my PhD thesis about health-related quality of life and related factors among older adults with visual impairments at different stages of low vision rehabilitation process and working as a coordinator in the GeroNursing Center (GNC) of research and expertise on restorative care of older adults. I have a background and key knowledge and competence areas in gerontology, rehabilitation and disability. I have many years of experience of working with older adults in different sectors of social and healthcare as well as competence in vocational education. I have actively participated in several international conferences in my field as well as networked with scientists in training schools addressed for PhD students. I want to conduct and promote working-life-oriented research that is effective and meaningful for society and health care practices.
- Wellbeing, quality of life and reablement of older adults
- Disability, especially visual and hearing impairment, in old age
Kariniemi K, Siira H, Kyngäs H, Kaakinen, P (2020) ”Vanhakin on ihminen” Ikääntyneiden kokemuksia vahvuuksistaan, voimavaroistaan ja kotihoidosta. Gerontologia 34 (1), 25-42.
Heidi J Siira, Aura A Falck, Helvi A Kyngäs. (2019) Low vision rehabilitation over the course of a year: The experiences and feelings of elderly people with visual impairments“. J Nurs Educ Pract 9(8): 16-25.
Siira H, Falk A & Kyngäs H. (2019). Health-related quality of life and related factors among elderly people with visual impairments. Br J Vis Impair 37(3), 183-193.
Konttila J, Siira H, Kyngäs H, Lahtinen M, Elo S, Kääriäinen M, Kaakinen P, Oikarinen A, Yamakawa M, Fukui S, Utsumi M, Higami Y, Higuchi A & Mikkonen K. (2019) Healthcare professionals’ competence in digitalization: a systematic review. J Clin Nurs 28:745-761.
Professional and community activities
- Bronze medal for working 10 years for the visually impaired, Finnish Federation of the Visually Impaired (FFVI)
- Voluntary work: Audio description of movies, audio reading and guiding for the visually impaired, Association of the Visually Impaired in the Northern Ostrobothnia and The Finnish Foundation of Visually Impaired.
- Doctoral student, Member of research group: Adherence to self-care and healthy lifestyle