I am a post-poctoral researcher in the Smart Communication Project (Funded by the Academy of Finland). My research focuses on the structure and organization of demonstrations in the context of teaching physical skills. Currently, I am examining the use of mobile devices as physical objects in demonstrations among elderly users. My prior research has focused on the embodied practices of teaching and learning budo sports. I have examined transition sequences from practicing to teaching in the budo class, and the segmentation of budo techniques into phases for teaching purposes. My general research interests include participation, collaborative teaching, embodied interaction and pedagogical agency.
- Embodied Interaction
- Multimodal Interaction
- Embodied Demonstrations
- Conversation Analysis
- Interactional Linguistics
Professional and community activities
- Editor for the journal Puhe ja Kieli (Speech and Language)
- Member of the executive board of AfinLA (The Finnish Association for Applied Linguistics)
- COACT (Complexity of (inter)action and multimodal participation)
- Florence, Oloff; Råman, Joonas (2020) What “silver surfers” can teach us: exploring digital skills courses for older adults. - Science with Arctic Attitude -Blog 07.04.2020 .
- Råman, Joonas (2019) Budo Demonstrations As Shared Accomplishments: The Modalities Of Guiding In The Joint Teaching Of Physical Skills. - Journal of pragmatics 150, 17-38 . [Original]
- Råman, Joonas (2019) The multimodal and collaborative aspects of demonstrations in the teaching of budo sports. - Acta Universitatis Ouluensis B : Humaniora 173. Oulu. Monografiaväitöskirja. 116. [Original]
- Råman, Joonas; Haddington, Pentti (2018) Demonstrations in sports training : communicating a technique through parsing and the return-practice in the budo class. - Multimodal Communication 7 (2), 1-19 . [Original]
- Råman, Joonas Tapio (2018) The Organization of Transitions between Observing and Teaching in the Budo Class. - Forum qualitative sozialforschung 19 (1), 1-28, 5 . [Original] [Self-archived]