Maritta S. Jaakkola
Maritta S. Jaakkola is the Research Professor of Respiratory Health at the University of Oulu. Prof. M. Jaakkola is a specialist in pulmonary medicine and a respiratory epidemiologist. She has studied the effects of active and passive smoking and other environmental exposures on respiratory diseases and lung function. She is PI of the FEAS, which is an internationally recognised, large population-based study that has produced a series of publications advancing the knowledge of the etiology of adult asthma. She was the PI of the Academy of Finland funding No 138691 on gene-environment interaction (2011-6/2014). She has extensive international network and collaboration, for example she was the Chair of the Program Committee of Occupational and Environmental Assembly at the American Thoracic Society and its International Conference Committee Member 2010-2012, she served as the editorial board member of Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2008-2011. She was the representative of Finland at the European Respiratory Society and she has consulted the WHO on several projects related to health effects of second hand smoke and other indoor exposures.
- respiratory medicine
- respiratory epidemiology
- tobacco smoke
- environmental health
- Research Professor, Center for Environmental and Respiratory Health Research (CERH)
- Research group leader, Medical Research Center Oulu
- Jaakkola, Maritta S; Quansah, Reginald; Hugg, Timo T; Heikkinen, Sirpa A M; Jaakkola, Jouni J K (2013) Association of indoor dampness and molds with rhinitis risk : A systematic review and meta-analysis. - Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 132 (5), 1099-1110.e18 .
- Paaso, Elina M S; Jaakkola, Maritta S; Lajunen, Taina K; Hugg, Timo T; Jaakkola, Jouni J K (2013) The Importance of Family History in Asthma during the First 27 Years of Life. - American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 188 (5), 624-626 .
- Lajunen, Taina K; Jaakkola, Jouni J; Jaakkola, Maritta S (2013) Influence of heredity on asthma continues to adulthood. - Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 131 (3), 916-918 .
- Lajunen, Taina K.; Jaakkola, Jouni J. K.; Jaakkola, Maritta S. (2018) IL6 polymorphisms modify the effects of smoking on the risk of adult asthma. - Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 141 (2), 799-+ . [Original]
- Lajunen, Taina K; Jaakkola, Jouni J K; Jaakkola, Maritta S (2013) The Synergistic Effect of Heredity and Exposure to Second-hand Smoke on Adult-onset Asthma. - American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 188 (7), 776-782 .
- Öberg, Mattias; Jaakkola, Maritta S.; Woodward, Alistair; Peruga, Armando; Prüss-Ustün, Annette (2011) Worldwide burden of disease from exposure to second-hand smoke: a retrospective analysis of data from 192 countries. - Lancet 377, 139-146 .
Supervision of PhD theses
Supervised 3 PhD theses as main supervisor, 1 as co-supervisor
Currently supervising 5 doctoral students: Sirpa Aalto, Henna Hyrkäs-Palmu, Salla Alavaikko, Elina Mäkikyrö and Samu Hernberg.