I am a physical geographer and a plant ecologist working as a postdoctoral researcher at the Geography Research Unit. My research focus is on long-term vegetation changes and their underlying drivers along different spatial scales in northern environments. Currently, I am exploring the effects of changing land use on plant diversity and the potential of geodiversity in maintaining plant diversity under global changes.
- Long-term vegetation changes
- Postdoctoral researcher, Physical Geography Research Group (PGRG)
- Maliniemi, Tuija (2018) Decadal time-scale vegetation changes at high latitudes : responses to climatic and non-climatic drivers. - Acta Universitatis Ouluensis. Series E, Scientiae rerum socialium 720. Oulu. Artikkeliväitöskirja. 60. [Original]
- Maliniemi, Tuija; Kapfer, Jutta; Saccone, Patrick; Skog, Anu; Virtanen, Risto (2018) Long-term vegetation changes of treeless heath communities in northern Fennoscandia: Links to climate change trends and reindeer grazing. - Journal of vegetation science 29 (3), 469-479 . [Original]
- Laitinen, Jarmo; Oksanen, Jari; Maliniemi, Tuija; Kaakinen, Eero; Aapala, Kaisu; Rehell, Sakari (2016) Ecological, topographic and successional patterns across wetlands in a rugged land uplift coast in Nyby, northern Finland. - Fennia 194 (1), 89-116 . [Original]
- Saccone, Patrick; Pyykkonen, Tuija; Eskelinen, Anu; Virtanen, Risto (2014) Environmental perturbation, grazing pressure and soil wetness jointly drive mountain tundra toward divergent alternative states. - Journal of ecology 102 (6), 1661-1672 . [Original]