There's lots to do and see in Oulu: what kind of hobbies do you have? Maybe you could continue those in a new environment, or start a completely new one!
Explore and try new things: here you have lots to choose from!
Student activity and events
ESN Oulu is perhaps the most important event organiser for you. As part of the student union, ESN welcomes all students, Finns and international, to participate not only in the events but in their planning as well. ESN's traditional Tuesday meetings in Caio, a cafe close to student residence halls, are an easy way to get involved and find new friends. Annual ESN activities include for example Valentine's Day Party, a visit to world's largest snow castle, pulla baking day, skiing trips, bird watching - practically anything you can think of. Check out for example their Facebook- and websites for more information!
Network of International Students in Oulu (NISO) is another international student organization in Oulu. It provides a platform for interaction to international degree and exchange students with various events and gatherings.
Follow also your own subject society's pages on social media and websites, they are the key for you meet Finnish students as well! All subject societies in Oulu University are listed here.
Villa Victor provides activities and is a meeting point for immigrants and Finns living in Oulu.
Here are some tips for events you don't want to miss
- Vulcanalia and the student organization fair!
- Student Wappu, the celebration of the 1st of May, is the most important celebration of the year for students and therefore it is actually a combination of events during weeks before the actual date
- See all Finnish national holidays here
- Various low-key sports events, such as snow-football and Kyykkä tournaments, and trips to ski centres.
- Sitsit is a popular table party with different themes throughout the year
Culture and Music
- Finnkino is the biggest movie theatre company in Finland and has a large variety of movies, situated in the City Centre
- Movie Theatre Star is a local family company with a lovely atmosphere and newly renovated spaces, situated in Tuira
- Oulu Music Centre has several events during the year from classical and pop-music to stand up gigs. See also christmas music concerts!
- Club Teatria Oulu: Concerts and events
- Areena Oulu: Concerts and events
- Museums and exhibitions in Oulu
- Science centre Tietomaa
Culture, food and drink festivals
- Lumo light festival is lighting up the darkest time of the year
- The Irish Festival of Oulu
- International Grand Markets - food festival (during summer)
- Large beers, Small breweries - beer festival
- Air Guitar world championships
Music festivals during the summer season
- Bättre Folk
- Finnish pop festival Suomipop festival
- Rock in the City
Sports and outdoor activities
- University sports of Oulu: many opportunities in affordable prices
- Many subject societies have weekly gym reservations for different ballgames, ask about gym reservations from your subject society!
- Summer's Sauna at the Tuira beach is open until the end of September. It is built and operated by volunteers, the cost for sauna and swimming is 5 euros
- Sauna Ferry at Värttö beach: Swimming and sauna during public hours is 9 euros for students. Sauna is open all year long, during winter you can try ice swimming
- For public saunas you need to take your own swimsuit and a towel with you
There are also several other sports and outdoor possibilities in Oulu
- Downhill skiing: Köykkyri Kempele, Ruskotunturi
- Jogging tracks, Cross-country skiing trails, Hiking trails in Oulu area
- Wakeboarding, paddleboarding, kite- and windsurfing (also snowsurfing)
- Bicycling/fatbikes, Oulu City bikes
- Climbing/Bouldering, see Oulun Kiipeilykeskus (Oulu Climbing Center)
- Exercise halls in Oulu area
- Private gyms: lots of options available on Google, search 'Gym Oulu'
- Swimming pools
- Sports fields and centres for ballgames, skateboarding, outdoor gyms and winter sports
- Beach Volley courts at the University, Kuusisaari sports park and at the beaches in Tuira, Nallikari, Pyykösjärvi and Pateniemi.
- Indoor sports parks: SuperPark and Reenis
- Virpiniemi Sports institute has many opportunities for outdoor activities, such as golf, frisbee golf, hiking, running, sledding and cross-country skiing. There is also a café and a fireplace for making your own food and snacks
- Berry and mushroom picking - Storage your vitamins for winter! See guidance on berry and mushroom picking here
- Aurora Borealis
- Hiking/Walking trails in Oulu, Walking on the Baltic Sea ice during winter. See sports and outdoor activities.
- Beaches for swimming in Oulu
- Koitelinkosket/Koiteli rapids: fireplaces and hiking
Last updated: 26.9.2019