- Sustainable development is being taken into account in the campus operations of the University of Oulu. The operations are being directed by the environmental program compass of the university.
- The Green Office team of the University of Oulu has been founded in 2014 and it has meetings every 2 to 3 months. The main building of the university has the Green Office certificate and its practices are implemented also in other parts of the campuses.
- The university works in cooperation with the environmental manager of the property owner Suomen Yliopistokiinteistöt Oy (SYK).
- The University of Oulu strives to diminish the amount of waste and to steer the consumption of energy and water in collaboration with Lassila & Tikanoja. The environmental online service of L&T, “Ympäristönetti”, helps us to monitor the consumption of energy and water.
- Environmental perspective is being taken into account in the procurement processes of the University. The university uses the Hansel framework agreements where sustainability and responsibility are integral parts of the procurement process. We avoid unnecessary procurements, recycle furniture within the campuses and recycle furniture that is no longer in use. Environmental perspective is being taken into account in cleaning services and restaurant services. 100 % of the energy used at the university comes from renewable sources.
- In the fall of 2019, a new environmental coordinator position has been opened at the university.
- Building of the university’s solar panels will begin in the fall of 2019.
- Social sustainability is being taken into account in the actions of the university. We have an Equality and Diversity Plan. Equality and diversity work is being done by different working groups and the Equality and Diversity Committee.