Hannu Marttila, Ph.D. (Tech.)
P.O. Box 4300
90014 University of Oulu
Dr. Hannu Marttila has 12 years’ experience from studies of catchment management related issues. Main research topics are related to hydrology, land use and water quality issues. He have broad experience from various environmental engineering fields focusing on catchment hydrology and management, stream hydraulics, water protection issues and ecological connections.
The research has been published in more than 40 international peer-reviewed journal publications (ISI) and currently co-supervise 4 PhD students. He has done intensive co-operation with various research institutes and been visiting researcher in New Zealand, Canada and Spain. Marttila has been participating and managed several Academy of Finland, EU and foundation based projects. He is a chairman in Hydrology division at Finnish Water Association and hydrology subject editor for Boreal Environmental Research -journal.
Fields of research interests:
- Catchment hydrology
- Peatland management issues
- Isotope hydrology
- Sedimentation engineering
- Stream hydraulics
- Applied water engineering methods
- Doctor of Science (Technology), 2011, University of Oulu, Finland, Graduated with honors (Thesis)
- Master degree of Environmental Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland
- Trekking and hiking
- Skiing (downhill + cross country)
- Ashraf FB, Haghighi AT, Marttila H, Kløve B. 2016. Assessing impacts of climate change and river regulation on flow regimes in cold climate: A study of a pristine and a regulated river in the sub-arctic setting of Northern Europe. Journal of Hydrology, 542, 410-422.
- Menberu M, Tahvanainen T, Marttila H, Irannezhad M, Ronkanen A-K, Pentttinen J, Kløve B. 2016. Water table-dependent hydrological changes following peatland forestry drainage and restoration: Analysis of restoration success. Water Resources Research, 52(5), 3742-3760.
- Mustonen K, Mykrä H, Marttila H, Haghighi AT, Kløve B, Aroviita J, Veijalainen N, Sippel K, Muotka T. 2016. Defining the natural flow regimes of boreal rivers: relationship with benthic macroinvertebrate communities. Freshwater Biology 35(2), 559-572.
- Rossi PM, Marttila H, Ala-Aho P, Jyväsjärvi J, Isokangas E, Muotka T, Kløve B. 2015. Environmental conditions of boreal springs explained by capture zone characteristics. Journal of Hydrology, 531(3), 992-1002.
- Jyväsjärvi J, Marttila H, Rossi PM, Olofson B, Nisell J, Ala-Aho P, Ilmonen J, Virtanen R, Paasivirta L, Salmela J, Muotka T, Kløve B. 2015. Climate-induced warming imposes a threat to North European spring ecosystems. Global Change Biology 21(12), 4561-4569.
- Marttila H, Kløve B. 2015. Spatial and temporal variation in particle size and particulate organic matter content in suspended particulate matter from peatland-dominated catchments in Finland. Hydrological Processes 29 (6), 1069-1079.
- Postila H, Ronkanen A-K, Marttila H, Kløve B. 2015. Hydrology and hydraulics of treatment wetlands constructed on drained peatlands. Ecological Engineering 75, 232-241.
- Tuukkanen T, Marttila H, Kløve B. 2014. Effect of soil properties on peat erosion and suspended sediment delivery in peat extraction sites. Water Resources Research 50(4), 3523-3535.
- Marttila H, Saarinen S, Celebi A, Klöve B. 2013. Transport of particle-associated elements in two agricultural dominated boreal river systems. Science of the Total Environment, 461-462, 693-705.
- Marttila H & Kløve B 2010. Dynamics of erosion and suspended sediment transport from drained peatland forestry, Journal of hydrology 344(3-4):414-425.
- Marttila H & Kløve B 2008. Erosion and delivery of deposited peat sediment, Water Resources Research 44, W06406