Ready to join us in autumn 2022?
Master's Programme in Biochemistry, Master of Science (2 years)
- Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020: #401–500 Human Biological Sciences
- In-depth training in understanding structure-function relationships of proteins and their characterisation
- Strong focus on practical skills and use of most modern equipment in protein expression and analysis
- Highly flexible degree aimed at students with an interest in a research career, taught by an international staff
Education leading to a Master's degree in Protein Science and Biotechnology or Molecular medicine provides the student with the ability to:
- apply scientific knowledge and methods to topical tasks and to undertake scientific research under supervision;
- analyze information and data; place their setting within a theoretical network accompanied by critical reflection and assessment;
- integrate the subject area as a coherent whole;
- communicate with good language skills for national and international tasks;
- demonstrate transferable and cognitive skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and critically about science using a variety of approaches;
- apply further knowledge, including the abilities to conceive, design and implement independent research and
- demonstrate capability for scientific postgraduate work.
Training in the programme deals with fundamental questions, but the focus is always also on the larger context of research: how can this knowledge be used to improve people's lives? In addition to theoretical knowledge, the Master’s degree offers very strong hands-on training for students. The degree contains altogether up to 10 months of laboratory work spread over different courses. This means that once students graduate, they will have an enormous amount of experience in laboratory work. Laboratory skills and modern methods are taught by teachers who all are active in research work.
The faculty is also dedicated to combining its expertise in chemistry with knowledge in biofluidics. This new development is aimed at the design of novel diagnostic tools, devices which are reliable, portable, easy to use and enormously helpful in diagnosing diseases and monitoring patients.
In general, continuous assessment is used in the courses, which means that the final exam of a course is not the sole determining factor in the final grade. In addition to, or as part of, lectures activating working methods are used, like problem solving, workshops and seminars.
Significant number of students spend orientation to research work periods outside the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine or carry out the research work for their MSc thesis abroad.
The Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine offers a highly international environment of cutting edge research in protein structure analysis, enzymology, proteomics, bioimaging, developmental biology, matrix biology and metabolism research. The faculty is very diverse, as about fifty percent of the staff is native to other countries than Finland, and research groups are well connected globally to other specialists and research groups in their fields of study. The working language is English. This combined with the fact that Oulu is a very safe city to study—voted as the safest place to study out of 150 universities in an international student barometer—means that it's very easy for international students to adjust to living and studying in Oulu.
The skills gained in the programme offer you the academic training and expertise required to succeed in a research environment. Graduates of the programme have been able to get into very prestigious Ph.D. programmes in universities around the world, such as Harvard, Imperial College, Oxford, Karoliniska, Zürich, Lausanne, Helsinki, Vienna, Copenhagen and so on. Many have also stayed at FBMM Oulu to continue in our Ph.D. Programme. The programme will also open many opportunities in biomedical and related industries.
Successful applicants should hold a B.Sc. or higher degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field in the natural or life sciences and have a good command of technical English language in biochemistry and molecular biology.