Our admissions team will help you with your questions!
Software, Systems and Services Development in the Global Environment
Software, Systems and Services Development in the Global Environment, Master of Science (2 years)
- Solid foundation of software engineering and information systems methods and technologies
- Understanding of software ecosystems
- Understanding of user-oriented products and services
The degree programme in Software, Systems and Services Development in the Global Environment (GS3D) is focused on software-based information and communication technology solutions for solving emerging global societal challenges. The programme will provide the student with relevant, up-to-date skills and capabilities to have a successful future career as a software and ICT expert or manager in a global company or other organization. The graduating students will have skills to lead multicultural temas, projects and units as well as capabilities to maintain and update their knowledge in the rapidly developing field.
The programme is dedicated to training world-class experts in two focus areas: Software Engineering and Information Systems.
The Software Engineering orientation is focused on professional software development approaches for novel innovative systems and services in the rapidly changing and interconnected world.
The Software Engineering orientation covers the following topics:
- software development, maintenance and operations
- professional software engineering processes and human factors
- advanced software quality and security
- software platforms and ecosystems
- software for intelligent systems and artificial intelligence (AI)
- software-defined products, systems and services
The Information Systems orientation emphasises the applications of software systems and ICT solutions. The idea is to find ways to improve organizations and to harness technology to best serve human endeavours and enable innovation.
The Information Systems orientation includes these topics:
- digitalisation and innovation
- servitisation, co-creation and business development
- user experience (UX) design and management
- societal and individual impacts of information systems
- creating domain value with data
- information systems strategy and leadership
Students can further widen their expertise based on personal interests through these specialisation options:
Software Engineering Specialisation
- software engineering research
- next generation software engineering
Human-Centred Design and User Experience Specialisation
- advanced topics in digital cultures and design
- user experience (UX) and usability evaluation
Persuasive Design and Gamification Specialisation
- persuasive systems design
- ICT and behaviour change
ICT is a highly international field and the programme reflects that as a study environment. Students gain experience on multi-cultural working during their studies and both staff and the students represent diversity. The degree programme has strong traditions and good experiences in collaboration with companies in the information industry. The studies have been designed with the working life in mind and it means that practical exercises and projects are conducted in collaboration with companies.
The project work at the end of Master's level studies integrates the studies and is ordered and steered by a company or a research unit. The Master's thesis is typically made for a company and will have a real-world basis as its thrust. The Oulu area is a major high-tech hub with a long history in researching and developing information and communication technologies. The University of Oulu is well-respected and a degree from it is highly regarded. The University is known for its ground-breaking research in many areas, such as the 6G Flagship project, a multi-year effort in researching next-generation communications technology beyond 5G. The education is kept relevant and up-to-date by collaborating closely with the industry, and visiting lecturers from industry are invited to courses.
The graduates will acquire solid academic training and essential knowledge and skills to analyse, evaluate and develop solutions related to, for example:
- AI and Intelligent Systems
- dynamics of the software business environment
- human activities in IT use situations
- software products and processes
- digitalisation and digital transformation
"We are developing unique technical leadership skills on a global scale, which will prepare us to build a career in any international IT organization"
Graduates have the capability to act as independent experts in goal-oriented projects and manage professionally projects in global ICT companies.
Possible titles include:
- Project Manager
- Team Leader
- Chief Technology Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Software Designer/Developer
- User Experience Designer
- Lead Developer
- Senior Software Engineer
- Full-Stack Developer
- Product Owner, Product Manager
- Business Analyst
- Digital Consultant
- Digital Transformation Leader
- Solution Designer
- Data Scientist
- AI Developer
Students applying for the programme must possess an applicable B.Sc. degree in one of the following fields of study: Software Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or nearby studies.