Ph.D., Professor, Scientific director of Biocenter Oulu
Professor Johanna Myllyharju is a scientific director of Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, 2010-2019.
Biocenter Oulu is the oldest of the Finnish biocenters, established in 1986. It is a focus institute within the Molecular and environmental basis of life-long health strategic research focus area of the University of Oulu. Biocenter Oulu coordinates together with the Medical Research Center the Fibrosis Diseasome PROFI3 theme of University of Oulu.
- Extracellular matrix biology
- Hypoxia signaling
Ongoing outside research funding
For own research: Academy of Finland Center of Excellence 2012-2017, Academy of Finland Academy Project 2016-2020, Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation 2015-2019, Sigrid Juselius Foundation 2017-2020, FibroGen Inc. 2002-
For research infrastructure: Academy of Finland FIRI 2016 - Biocenter Finland, Academy of Finland FIRI2015 - Infrarontier ESFRI Finland
Hans Kupczyk Guest Professorship Award, University of Ulm, Germany, 2015
Other scientific expert positions and activities
Memberships in scientific societies: Finnish Connective Tissue Research Society 1994- (Chair 2006-2007), International Society for Matrix Biology 1999- (Member of the Council 2006-2014), American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2002-
Selected activities in scientific meetings: >70 invited keynote lectures, other invited talks or organisational tasks since 1991
Memberships in editorial boards of scientific journals: Journal of Biological Chemistry - Member of the Editorial Board 2008-2013, Hypoxia - Member of the Honorary Editorial Board, 2013-
- Professor, University of Oulu, Finland, 2007
- Docent, University of Oulu, Finland, 2000
- PhD, University of Turku, Finland, 1998
Professional and community activities
- European Molecular Biology Conference (EMBC) council: Finnish delegate 2016-
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) council: Finnish delegate 2016
- Biocenter Finland: Member of the Board 2010- (Chair 2016-2017, Vice Chair 2014-2015)
- ESFRI Health and Food Strategic Working Group: Finnish representative 2015-2016
- Academy of Finland: Member and Vice Chair of the Research Council for Health 2010-2015
- COST Action TD0901 Hypoxia sensing, signalling and adaptation: Member of the Management Committee and Working Group Leader, 2009-2013
- Northern Finland Biobank Borealis: Member of the Scientific Committee 2016-, Member of the Steering Group 2012-2014
- Vice Director, principal investigator, Finnish Center of Excellence in Cell-Extracellular Matrix Research
- Group Leader, principal investigator, Hypoxia & collagens
- Myllyharju, Johanna & Kivirikko, Kari (2004) Collagens, modifying enzymes and their mutations in humans, flies and worms. - Trends in Genetics 20 (1), 33-43
- Myllyharju, Johanna (2008) Prolyl 4-hydroxylases, key enzymes in the synthesis of collagens and regulation of the response to hypoxia, and their roles as treatment targets. - Annals of medicine 40, 402-417
- Zou, Yaqun; Donkervoort, Sandra; Salo, Antti M.; Foley, A. Reghan; Barnes, Aileen M.; Hu, Ying; Makareeva, Elena; Leach, Meganne E.; Mohassel, Payam; Dastgir, Jahannaz; Deardorff, Matthew A.; Cohn, Ronald D.; DiNonno, Wendy O.; Malfait, Fransiska; Lek, Monkol; Leikin, Sergey; Marini, Joan C.; Myllyharju, Johanna; Bonnemann, Carsten G. (2017) P4HA1 mutations cause a unique congenital disorder of connective tissue involving tendon, bone, muscle and the eye. - Human Molecular Genetics 26 (12), 2207-2217 .
- Hirsilä, Maija; Koivunen, Peppi; Gunzler, V.; Kivirikko, Kari & Myllyharju, Johanna (2003) Characterization of the human prolyl 4-hydroxylases that modify the hypoxia-inducible factor. - Journal of biological chemistry 278 (33), 30772-30780
- Mäki, Joni; Sormunen, Raija; Lippo, Sari; Kaarteenaho-Wiik, Riitta; Soininen, Raija & Myllyharju, Johanna (2005) Lysyl oxidase is essential for normal development and function of the respiratory system and for the integrity of elastic and collagen fibers in various tissues. - American journal of pathology 167 (4), 927-936
- Holster, Tiina; Pakkanen, Outi; Soininen, Raija; Sormunen, Raija; Nokelainen, Minna; Kivirikko, Kari & Myllyharju, Johanna (2007) Loss of assembly of the main basement membrane collagen, type IV, but not fibril-forming collagens and embryonic death in collagen prolyl 4-hydroxylase I null mice. - Journal of biological chemistry 282, 2512-2519
- Koivunen, Peppi; Hirsilä, Maija; Remes, Anne; Hassinen, Ilmo; Kivirikko, Kari & Myllyharju, Johanna (2007) Inhibition of hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) hydroxylases by citric acid cycle intermediates. Possible links between cell metabolism and stabilization of HIF. - Journal of biological chemistry 282, 4524-4532
- Qi, H. H.; Ongusaha, P. P.; Myllyharju, Johanna; Cheng, D., Pakkanen, Outi; Shi, Y.; Lee, S. W.; Peng, J. & Shi, Y. (2008) Prolyl 4-hydroxylation regulates Argonaute 2 stability. - Nature 455, 421-424
- Hyvärinen Jaana,Hassinen Ilmo,Sormunen Raija,Mäki Joni,Kivirikko Kari,Koivunen Peppi,Myllyharju Johanna (2010) Hearts of hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl 4-hydroxylase-2 hypomorphic mice show protection against acute ischemia-reperfusion injury.. - Journal of biological chemistry 285, 13646-13657
- Laitala, Anu; Aro, Ellinoora; Walkinshaw, Gail; Mäki, Joni M; Rossi, Maarit; Heikkilä, Minna; Savolainen, Eeva-Riitta; Arend, Michael; Kivirikko, Kari I; Koivunen, Peppi; Myllyharju, Johanna (2012) Transmembrane prolyl 4-hydroxylase is a fourth prolyl 4-hydroxylase regulating EPO production and erythropoiesis. - Blood 120 (16), 3336-3344 .
- Aro, Ellinoora; Salo, Antti M.; Khatri, Richa; Finnilä, Mikko; Miinalainen, Ilkka; Sormunen, Raija; Pakkanen, Outi; Holster, Tiina; Soininen, Raija; Prein, Carina; Clausen-Schaumann, Hauke; Aszodi, Attila; Tuukkanen, Juha; Kivirikko, Kari I.; Schipani, Ernestina; Myllyharju, Johanna (2015) Severe Extracellular Matrix Abnormalities and Chondrodysplasia in Mice Lacking Collagen Prolyl 4-Hydroxylase Isoenzyme II in Combination with a Reduced Amount of Isoenzyme I. - Journal of biological chemistry 290 (27), 16964-16978 .