The main functions of the archive are:
1) To collect Saami cultural and language data and organise gatherings of new material
2) To preserve and digitalise data and to facilitate its usage in research and teaching provided by the Giellagas Institute
3) To provide expertise and advice in the questions regarding the use of Saami material
4) To serve as a meeting point for the users of the Saami material and the Finnish sound archives
5) To provide material for the strengthening and revitalisation of Saami traditional knowledge.
Last updated: 2.9.2014