UNIC exchanges

UniOulu is part of the European University UNIC (The European University of Post-Industrial Cities). Learn more about the internationalisation opportunities within UNIC!

Erasmus+ exchanges in UNIC universities

You can go on student exchange in the other UNIC universities through Erasmus+ programme. Ask your faculty international coordinator for more information about the possible destinations in your study programme!

The UNIC partners are:

Check out the catalogue of courses taught in English to plan your exchange studies.

UNIC promotes green mobility

To set positive examples, UNIC will offer a Train Instead of Plane (TIP) grant scheme for students who commit to travelling by train (for distances over 350km). UNIC provide 15 grants per year for students who commit to traveling by train to take part in exchanges, seminars or other credit-awarding activities and other activities enabling networking between UNIC students.

By traveling by train instead of plane, you are not only helping the environment, you also get the opportunity to visit other countries and cities on the way!

The TIP Scheme will involve grants of €185 which equals the costs of an Interrail ticket for 3 days per month. Grant applications will first be selected (to see whether the train offers a sustainable alternative and fits the >350km rule) and then awarded in a lottery.

The grant applications are open now! Read more and apply by 15.5.2023 here.

Virtual mobility

UNIC Opened Courses

How about supplementing your studies with a course you cannot find in Oulu? As a student at the University of Oulu, you can choose virtual courses from the UNIC partner universities and include them in your degree. All courses are completely virtual and taught in English.


  1. Get to know the course offering at the UNIC partner university.
  2. Remember to include the UNIC studies in your personal study plan (PSP) before applying by filling in a pre-application form in Peppi.
  3. Follow the instructions of the UNIC partner university to register to the course.
  4. After completing the course, you must transfer the study credits to the University of Oulu. Ask the host University to provide you with the transcript of records, where the course name, details and the number of ECTS is stated. Send your transcript to Academic Affairs Service Team through Peppi, so that your studies will be transferred to University of Oulu's study registry.

Questions about UNIC exchanges?

  • UNIC Mobility Hub (in Tellus) serves on Tuesdays at 10-12. Drop in, no pre-booking required!
  • International Office Virtual Hour on Wednesdays at 14-15; join via this link
  • Contact us via email: unic.info@oulu.fi