Every year, nearly 4 000 new students start their studies on bachelor, master or doctoral level to pursue a degree or to start an exchange period.
Would you like to be one of them? Welcome to study with us!
Apply to study with us
Take a closer look at our offering according to your need.
University of Oulu offers 23 international degree programmes taught in English, three from bachelor's level, the rest 20 are master's programmes.
University of Oulu Graduate School offers doctoral level training in its four doctoral training programmes.
If you would like to visit us as an exchange student, see the section telling about incoming student exchange to get more information.
Top reasons for choosing us
Our university’s global impact is based on scientific breakthroughs, new technology and world-class innovations. Our 65,000 alumni are participating in society as well-educated citizens and employees around the world.
University of Oulu
- A well-ranked science university solving global problems with its cutting-edge research. For example, in THE World University Rankings, University of Oulu is among the top 250–300 universities.
- Our degree programmes are student-centred with a high teacher-student ratio.
- Satisfaction with studies is 10 % higher than the European average.
- International students are particularly pleased with the housing arrangements and living in a clean and safe country where nature is close by.
- The non-hierarchical relationship between students and teachers is one of our strengths. Belonging to the academic community is made easy at us.
Read more about rankings and our core research areas.
What is it like in Oulu?
Starting your studies and journey in Oulu is an exciting new phase in your life. Read what our students and alumni say to get insight and recommendations.
But where is Oulu?
That's the question we hear quite often, and the answer is - basically everywhere! The reason behind this is that everyday, 2.6 billion people are using technology developed in Oulu.
The Oulu region is home to over 200, 000 people making it the largest urban centre in northern Scandinavia. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly-educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. As a highlight, Oulu will act as the European Capital of Culture in 2026.
Tackling the climate change
We promote sustainable development through education, research, societal interaction and campus development.