Water management in Agriculture and Forestry: Focusing on drainage systems (WAFD 2022)
Place: in Linnanmaa Campus, University of Oulu / via Zoom
Extent: 3 cr; (attendance in the lectures, assignments, and learning diary)
Prerequisities: Basic knowledge in Hydrology, Agricultute, and Forestry
Target groups: Doctoral researchers and Master's students; applicable to mid-level staff, supervisors, and others working in the field
Course aims and elements
This course aims to develop and strengthen the educational and training capabilities of doctoral researchers and master students, as well as mid-level staff, and supervisors, working in the fields of water resources management, irrigation and drainage. This course will make students familiar with the drainage systems and their functioning in agriculture and forestry, especially in Nordic conditions. Moreover, it aims to not only describe how these systems improve agriculture and forest productivity but also how they drive the hydrological condition of watershed and the connected environment. This would be a great opportunity for the applicants from different perspectives such as students and researchers from hydrology, agriculture, and forestry to realize how such management activities can impact the connected environment and the other disciplines.
The course includes several hybrid lectures with an open discussion on different case studies with some hands-on practices. It will be tried to include design and modeling parts as well to showcase the resulted impacts of such practices.
Subject areas of the course include:
- On-farm irrigation and drainage management
- Drainage and depletion in forest hydrology
- Forest and Agricultural management in Nordic condition.
- Dr. Mike Starr, Adjunct Professor in Forest Soil Science (retired), Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, Department of Forest Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Dr. Mohamed Wahba, Chairman of African Regional Working Group (AFRWG), International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID)
- Dr. Latifa Dhaouadi, Assistant Professor in Regional Center for Research in Oasis Agriculture Degache Tozeur, Tunisia
- MSc. Minna Mäkkelä, Agronomist, Finnish Field Drainage Association, FinlandR
Register in the course in this link
Associate Professor Dr. Ali Torabi Haghighi, Water Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit, Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu
Doctoral researcher Sahand Ghadimi, Water Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit, Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu
Link to the Course poster