The aim of my doctoral research is to develop, implement and evaluate the effects of an educational intervention on mentors’ cultural competence and on their competence in mentoring culturally and linguistically diverse nursing students. Nursing students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds often face challenges related to cultural differences and language barriers during completion of their clinical placements. There is a need to educationally prepare mentors to provide culturally appropriate mentoring and to meet the individual needs of these students.
My doctoral research is being conducted within the QualMent project, which is a 28-month project co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme. The aim of the project is to develop mentors' competence in mentoring nursing students through mentor education. During this project we will develop a Clinical mentors' competence model, provide mentors in four European Union countries with education on clinical mentoring, and develop mentoring guidelines.
I have published 7 peer reviewed publications in international scientific journals.
- Clinical learning environment and mentoring
- Cultural and linguistic diversity in healthcare
- Integration of digital learning environments
- Implementation of evidence-based nursing practice
- Oikarainen, A.; Mikkonen, K.; Kenny, A.; Tomietto, M.; Tuomikoski, A.-M.; Meriläinen, M.; Miettunen, J.; Kääriäinen, M. (2019) Educational interventions designed to develop nurses’ cultural competence: A systematic review. - International journal of nursing studies 98, 75-86 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Oikarainen, Ashlee; Mikkonen, Kristina; Tuomikoski, Anna-Maria; Elo, Satu; Pitkänen, Salla; Ruotsalainen, Heidi; Kääriäinen, Maria (2018) Mentors' competence in mentoring culturally and linguistically diverse nursing students during clinical placement. - Journal of advanced nursing 74 (1), 148-159 . [Original]
- Pitkänen, Salla; Kääriäinen, Maria; Oikarainen, Ashlee; Tuomikoski, Anna-Maria; Elo, Satu; Ruotsalainen, Heidi; Saarikoski, Mikko; Kärsämänoja, Taina; Mikkonen, Kristina (2018) Healthcare students' evaluation of the clinical learning environment and supervision : a cross-sectional study. - Nurse education today 62, 143-149 . [Original]
- Immonen, Kati; Oikarainen, Ashlee; Tomietto, Marco; Kääriäinen, Maria; Tuomikoski, Anna-Maria; Kaučič, Boris Miha; Filej, Bojana; Riklikiene, Olga; Vizcaya-Moreno, M. Flores; Perez-Cañaveras, Rosa M.; De Raeve, Paul; Mikkonen, Kristina (2019) Assessment of nursing students´ competence in clinical practice : a systematic review of reviews. - International journal of nursing studies 100, 103414 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Korhonen, Heidi; Tuomikoski, Anna-Maria; Oikarainen, Ashlee; Kääriäinen, Maria; Elo, Satu; Kyngäs, Helvi; Liikanen, Eeva; Mikkonen, Kristina (2019) Culturally and linguistically diverse healthcare students’ experiences of the clinical learning environment and mentoring : A qualitative study. - Nurse education in practice 41, 102637 . [Original] [Self-archived]