Researcher (MSc, doctoral candidate) at the Oulu Business School, Department of Marketing, Management and International Business. Research interests include purchasing and supply management (PSM), purchasing organisations in project context, and related capabilities. Dissertation research drawing attention to technical, commercial and leadership capabilities in establishing and developing purchasing organisations, especially in large infrastructure projects in the mining industry. Executive committee member of the leading PSM research association, International Purchasing and Supply Education and Research Association, IPSERA.
Earlier research on “Implementing Procurement Strategy: A Case of a Finnish Construction Company” was awarded as the Best Logistics Research in Northern Finland, 2011. In 2013, accomplished a research exchange period in COSMO – Stochastic Mine Planning Laboratory at McGill University, Montréal, Canada.
- Purchasing and supply management (PSM)
- Purchasing and supply organisations (PSOs)
- Project purchasing and supply organisations (PPSOs)
- Purchasing and supply management (PSM) capabilities
- S721568S Individual Business Management Project (6cr) course
- Tutor teacher 2020 - 21
- Bachelor's thesis supervision
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M.; Kähkönen, A-K; Merilahti, O. (2020) Creating purchasing and supply organisations (PSOs) for project-business - State of current purchasing and supply management (PSM) research. Conference Proceedings of the 29th IPSERA conference, IPSERA 2020. Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, US.
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M.; Aaltonen, K. (2019) The establishment and development of a purchasing organisation in large infrastructure projects: Proposing a new procurement capability model. - Art and Science of Procurement, IPSERA 2019 Conference Proceedings. Politecnico Milano, School of Management.
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M.; Iivari, M. (2018) Use of business models in the development of a purchasing organisation. - Conference proceedings of the 9th Annual EDSI Conference. Decision Sciences for the New Global Economy. Udine & Venice, June 3rd to June 6th, 2018. Sartor, Marco; Orzes, Guido; Nassimbeni, Guido. Udine, Italia, Duemiladiciotto.
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. (2017) Lessons learned from a company-tailored procurement training - Case mining (start-up) company. - 'Coping with the Future: Picking Your Battles' Proceeding of the 26th Annual IPSERA (International Purchasing and Supply Education and Research Association) Conference, Budapest-Balatonfüred, Hungary, April 9-12, 2017. Budapest, Hungary, Corvinus, University of Budapest.
- Atkova, I.; Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. (2016) Knowledge Sharing Barriers in Procurement: Case of a Finnish-Based Construction Company. Business Intelligence: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi; Clarke, Steve; Jennex, Murray E. et al. Hershey. 1684-1701. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-9562-7.ch083
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M.; Aaltonen, K.; Haapasalo, H. (2015) Procurement in the real estate and construction sector (RECS) - Preliminary context-specific attributes. - Procedia economics and finance 21, 264-270. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212567115001768
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M.; Atkova, I. (2015) Re-shaping Purchasing Organizations as Company Grows - Case from the Mining Industry. - Proceedings 24th IPSERA Preparing for new competitive challenges. Dullaert, W.; Hofstra, N.; Kamann, D.J.; de Leeuw, S.
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. (2014) Procurement Strategy Implementation: A Case Study from Construction Industry. Proceedings of 23rd Annual IPSERA Conference, 13-16 April, South Africa. Badenhorst-Weiss, H., Ambe, M., Cilliers, O. & Kujawa, B. 389-397
Selected presentations and invited talks
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. Kaivosteollisuuden hankintatoimi – Organisaation ja osaamisen kehittäminen (Purchasing and supply management in mining sector – Developing purchasing organisations and related capabilities). Women in Mining Finland – Annual seminar. Sodankylä, Finland, 31.1.2020 (Invited talk)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. Hajautetun hankintaorganisaation haasteita (The challenges in decentralized purchasing and supply organization (PSO). Finnish Purchasing and Logistics Association LOGY. 15.05.2019 (Keynote presentation)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M., Procurement Capabilities in Large Infrastructure Projects. International Research Network on Organizing by Projects (IRNOP) Conference, Melbourne, Australia. 09.12.2018 (Poster-presentation)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. 'Huumori hankinnoissa' (Integrating humour into procurement), Suomen Osto- ja Logistiikkayhdistyksen Hankintalounas2018-tapahtuma, Finnish Purchasing and Logistics Association LOGY. 16.05.2018 (Invited talk)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. Procurement in the mining sector - Context-specific attributes -lecture, Finnish Association of Purchasing and Logistics LOGY, 18.05.2017 (Invited talk)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. Pohjois-Pohjanmaan Yrittäjät, Markkinavuoropuhelun merkitys hankinnoissa -tilaisuus yrittäjille (The role of open communication in public procurement). 26.11.2015
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M. The logistics education in Northern Finland. Pohjois-Suomen Logistiikkafoorumi. 28.01.2014 (Keynote presentation)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M., Procurement in the Mining Industry Context. 2013 COSMO Technical Day, McGill University, Montréal, Canada. 12.12.2013 (Keynote presentation)
- Tuomela-Pyykkönen, M., Procurement strategy implementation in a mining company. COSMO - Stochastic Mine Planning Laboratory, Dept. of Mining and Materials Engineering Public Seminar, Montréal, Canada. 11.12.2013 (Keynote presentation)
Professional and community activities
- Women in Mining, Finland, Board member 2020 -
- Finnish Purchasing and Logistics Association, LOGY, Chair, Northern Division, 2014 - 2016
- Finnish Purchasing and Logistics Association, LOGY, Board member 2015 - 2017
Graduate Research Trainee– 16.8.2013 to 14.12.2013
COSMO - Stochastic Mine Planning Laboratory, Department of Mining and Materials Engineering, McGill University, Montréal, Canada