Master's in Economics
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Economics
- An internationally comparable master's degree in Economics and Business Administration from an AACSB accredited business school that enables you to apply for work within the EU and globally.
- Widen your core economics degree with studies in finance or accounting available at the Oulu Business School.
- Build your graduate profile with your master's thesis - many opportunities based on the wide range of research areas exist.
- Get hands-on experience in developing economic models and using econometric methods to perform economic and financial analysis.
- Graduates in economics have high employability and diverse career opportunities.
Economics has been taught in the University of Oulu since the founding of the university, and it is a part of the AASCB accredited Oulu Business School (OBS). The programme is one of the several international Master’s Programmes provided at OBS. You can take elective courses from other programmes at the business school.
OBS organizes frequent seminars with Finnish and international visitors from business and academia, and students are strongly encouraged to attend these events. You can utilise many exchange programmes that OBS has with foreign business schools.
Core skills and competence
The Economics programme gives you expertise and core competence on the following topics:
- Advanced economic theory
- Quantitative methods in economics
- International macroeconomics and finance
- Managerial economics
- Globally responsible business.
Studying in ME programme includes group work and projects, through which you will learn to apply the tools you have learned for different types of tasks. In addition, you acquire the requisite skills to succeed in an economist’s career. These include solving many types of economic problems, manage projects and give professional presentations.
Economics at Oulu has a wide portfolio of research projects, which provides you insights on current issues in topics from energy and environmental economics, regional economics, international macroeconomics and finance, and health and social economics.
The programme equips graduates with the skills they need as a professional economist working in business, government, international organizations, and research centers. Depending on their interests, they can for example work with market research in the financial sector, in private firms, and with fiscal and monetary policy within the public sector. The programme also serves as thorough preparation for doctoral studies.
Programme structure and courses
Read about eligibility and admissions procedure for this programme, detailed information available at Studyinfo.
Possible job titles for our graduates include:
- Economic Advisor
- Investment Advisor
- Industry Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Economic Development Officer
- Economic Consultant
- Business Reporter.
Welcome to Oulu Business School
Only roughly five percent of the world’s business schools have fulfilled the AACSB quality standards. The Oulu Business School is one of the first Nordic business schools to earn this international business accreditation.