Master's in Product and Project Management
Students can choose between two majors.
Product and Project Management, Master's Programme in Industrial Engineering and Management
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Product and Project Management
- Multi-disciplinary degree that combines technical knowledge, business knowledge, and understanding of human behaviour.
- The only master's programme in the Nordic countries focusing on Product Management.
- ASIIN and EUR-ACE accreditations demonstrate the quality of education.
- Tight collaboration with the industry and business, offering great career opportunities after graduation, and case studies and projects during the studies.
- Close-knit community between the student and teaching staff.
The programme focuses on the development and management of products and services or management of projects throughout their lifecycles and the related social responsibility, sustainable development and digitalisation.
The degree can be complemented with courses related to operations and supply network management, organisation and knowledge management, or interdisciplinary product development.
"In addition to lectures I did many group projects with real company cases from industry. This improved my teamwork skills and problem-solving skills and also helped me build a great network with professionals in both local companies as well as global companies, who are based in the Oulu region.” – Elnour, alumn
The programme involves close collaboration with industry and business. A lot of cooperation exists with other universities in Europe, Asia and North America.
Lectures include practical cases that improve the learning experience, and guests from various organisations often give visiting lectures. Students begin to build their networks in the business world as their assignments are typically connected to practical industrial problems and challenges. This way, the students gain first-hand industry experience.
Major in managing products or projects
In the degree programme the students will learn to explore complex phenomena and to solve problems from a human-centred technical and business standpoint. The programme has two majors, one focusing on product management and the other focusing on project management.
Product management handles the development and management of products and services throughout their lifecycles and the related social responsibility, sustainable development and digitalisation.
Project management concentrates on development of processes, policies and business in different kind of organisations and companies, taking sustainability, productivity and competitiveness and different types of project deliveries into account.
Graduates typically work in product development or project management positions in companies or other organisations. The graduates will have expertise in new product development, rapid development, productisation or management of both people and projects.
Graduates will be competent in different areas of product portfolio management such as strategic fit, value maximisation and balancing, and they can use their knowledge when solving challenging problems in various, especially technology-intensive, industries. They are also capable of planning and managing successful projects in product development, business development and operations of a company.
Core skills and competence
The programme is designed to provide the student with the ability to:
- Analyse, design, and develop different technologies, products, and services
- Manage technologies, product lifecycle, product development processes, and projects
- Understand product management and product portfolio management principles, goals, processes, information systems
- Master the phases of productisation including requirement management, design, delivery, maintenance, and removal
- Apply strategic thinking in the planning, management and development of projects.
Programme structure and courses
Occupational profiles of the graduates
- Product Manager
- Product Data Manager
- Product Development Engineer
- Product Portfolio Manager
- Project Manager
- Programme Manager.
Join a high-quality programme
Industrial Engineering and Management at the University of Oulu has been awarded both ASIIN and EUR-ACE accreditations and quality labels demonstrating the quality of education.
Watch a video
Chat with UniOulu Ambassador
Our student ambassadors are happy to share their study experience with you on three weekdays, Tuesday to Thursday at 2-4 pm UTC+3.
You can start chatting with us by clicking the chat button available on the right side of this page. Remember to accept functional cookies to allow the chat to appear.