Funding for community events
What kinds of events can be funded by this Funding Call?
Funding can be granted for events or activities open to all the members of our university community. The activity can be a one-time event, a recurring series of events, or a club for university community members or similar. The event should benefit many people within the University of Oulu.
The funded event or activity should:
- be open to the whole university community including visiting researchers. Openness to family members of our current expert and support staff, researchers, and students is recommended;
- be free of charge for the attendees;
- support and contribute to the University’s actions related to community building, inclusion, and wellbeing;
- promote meaningful intercultural engagement;
- support cross-disciplinary networking and bring people from different disciplines and career paths together;
- be in line with the University of Oulu’s values and principles of quality assurance, accessibility, and sustainability.
Novel, potentially impactful concepts are given priority.
Funded events and/or activities should contribute to and support e.g.
- family-friendly community-building actions on both campuses;
- the well-being of the members of our university community;
- language learning and/or follow and promote the principles and guidelines of the university's Language Policy;
- the diversity of cultures and inclusion within our multicultural university community;
- Equality and Diversity Plan and the work of the Equality and Diversity Committee;
- the attractiveness of the University to potential employees and students;
- currently available support and integration services for new employees, expert and support staff, researchers, and students
Please note that the list serves as a guideline and not all criteria must be met in one event or activity.
Who can apply for this funding?
Any student, researcher, or expert and support staff member of the University of Oulu can apply for this funding. Individuals, groups, and university-affiliated organizations or guilds are all welcome to apply.
Application period and evaluation criteria
You can apply for funding for community events usually twice a year, in autumn and in spring. Information on the next application period will be updated on this page when available. See more detailed evaluation criteria and instructions below.
Examples of activities funded
These activities have been funded and launched, for example:
- "Knitting Circle", a student-led knitting club, Linnanmaa (club meetings at Kontinkangas are in planning)
- “Iranian New Year”, a staff-led community event off campus
- “Cycling Club”, a student-run cycling club based in Linnanmaa
- “Easter Treasure Hunt at Kontinkangas”, a student-led community event at Kontinkangas
For more information and help with funding and application process, send an email to talentboost(at)oulu.fi
Talent Boost as a funding source
Talent Boost is a cross-administrative programme coordinated by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland and the Ministry of Education and Culture designed to boost the immigration of senior specialists, employees, students and researchers and to increase the attractiveness of Finland to talented people and their family members.