Diversity and gender balance in science -course
Credits: 1 ECTS
Schedule and place: The first meeting will be held on 19.10.2023, 9-11 AM at Tellus Backstage. Altogether five gatherings will be arranged biannually (2023-2025).
Responsible teacher: Mervi Heikkinen
Target group: Course is mandatory for doctoral researchers selected to the I4WORLD programme and is available for all the doctoral researchers at the University of Oulu.
Objectives: Course is providing the capabilities for open and transparent view for the doctoral researchers to recognize and pay attention to diversity and equality aspect on their research and future careers.
Content: Course will provide unbiased introduction to gender inequality in science and R&D even today. Case examples of bias in medical research, design in automotive industry and software design are used to perspective growth. Group work exercises and presentations are set to realize the added value of the gender balance and diversity as presented e.g. in EC “Gendered Innovations” reports.
The course work is 1 ECTS = 27 h, which consists of 7h lectures, seminars 10 h and independent work 10 h.
- Autumn 2023: Diversity and Gender Balance in Science – Opening lecture and orientation to the course.
- Spring 2024: Introduction to the Gender Impact Assessment (GIA) approach of a research project and to the Gender Dimension in SDGs CASES: medical research, design in automotive industry, and software design.
- Autumn 2024: Analysing Scientific Excellence with a gender dimension; Group work exercises and presentations.
- Spring 2025: Reviewing research through a gender lens - implementation of research project; Group work exercises and presentations.
- Autumn 2025: Assessing the Gender Impact of the research project; Group work exercises and presentations.
Registration in Peppi (add course to PSP) or via Tuudo, please register 18.10.2023 at the latest. If you don’t have access to Peppi (no study rights yet) and wish to attend the course, please send email: email@example.com. More detailed information on the course will be sent out to the participants according to the registration.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!
The course is organized by the I4WORLD (Imaging and Characterisation for a Sustainable World) doctoral programme co-funded by the European Union.