European ideas showcased in Oulu – The first UNIC solutions presented on 12 May at the university pop-up
The eight UNIC partner universities are developing their post-industrial cities with international cooperation. Solutions to the challenges of urban development are searched for within the knowledge-based economy and green transformations of the cities, for example.
The students at the University of Oulu have been ideating together with other UNIC students within courses of the Entrepreneurship minor. These courses offer international groups of students the unique opportunity to develop solutions to challenges presented by companies and organisations from Oulu. Read more about the students' excitement here. The solutions will be presented from the pop-up studio, including for example:
- a brand strategy for sustainable design clothing
- ways to increase the use of mobile payment
- sustainable event production, developing student cafeterias, and
- a service model for geopolymers.
Generations’ Lab brings different generations and cultures together in problem-solving. The teams’ strength is their diversity: experienced professionals from the University of Oulu Extension School work alongside degree students in the Building Business Through Creativity and Collaboration, and Exercising Entrepreneurship courses.
“UNIC works towards regenerating post-industrial cities with the help of their population’s diversity. The courage to test new methods can also be seen in Generations’ Lab’s final solutions: technology and economics have been paired with creative thinking in virtual demos and even artistic productions”, says Generations’ Lab teacher Nina Jackson.
Generations’ Lab’s solutions will be presented in a live broadcast on the University of Oulu’s Youtube page on the 12th of May at 6 PM The event is in English.
Welcome to UNIC’s events
- On the 25th of May at 5 PM the first UNIC CityLab will be held at the University of Oulu pop-up. During the virtual panel discussion researchers, students, and active members of civil society will discuss experiences of racism and democratic participation in Oulu. How our university can support antiracism? UNIC CityLabs are events where the societal challenges of Post-Industrial cities are identified, solved and the solutions implemented. Welcome all to the virtual event on the University of Oulu’s YouTube –channel
- On the 11th of June 2021 UNIC is hosting an international conference “Regenerating Post-Industrial Cities & the Role of Universities”. The conference that focuses on the cooperation between city and university is open to all. Join us and network with UNIC’s students, researchers, staff, stakeholders and other higher education institutes! Read more about the conference here (registration upcoming)
- On the 14th of July the Finnish Minister of European Affairs, Tytti Tuppurainen discusses the European Universities’ role in the development of a diverse and inclusive society with the leader of the City of Oulu, our university’s researchers and student representatives. The event is part of SuomiAreena, an annual festival for panels, talks, and workshops about Finnish society and politics. The event is in Finnish.
The UNIC alliance, launched in October 2020, consists of eight European universities. UNIC is built in close cooperation with its students, read more about the students' engagement
Read more about UNIC, and subscribe to the UNIC newsletter