Inspire 5G+: Intelligent Security and Pervasive Trust for 5G and Beyond
Horizon 2020 - RIA
330 226 EUR
EURESCOM – European Institute for Research and Strategic Studies in Telecommunications GmbH, Germany
- ProfessorMika Ylianttila
- Post-doctoral Researcher / DocentPawani Porambage
- Tharaka Mawanane Hewa
- Doctoral StudentNisita Weerasinghe
- Adjunct Professor - DocentMadhusanka Liyanage
- Doctoral StudentYushan Siriwardhana
The Horizon 2020 project INSPIRE-5Gplus will advance security of 5G and Beyond networks. Grounded in an integrated network management system and relevant frameworks, INSPIRE-5Gplus is entirely devoted to improve security at various dimensions, i.e., overall vision, use cases, architecture, integration to network management, assets, and models. INSPIRE-5Gplus will address key security challenges through vertical applications ranging from autonomous and connected cars to Critical Industry 4.0.
INSPIRE-5Gplus aims to advance security of 5G and beyond networks by leveraging/extending existing assets (e.g., Trusted Execution Environments (TEEs), Software-defined Security (SD-SEC) models) and by introducing novel solutions exploiting the potential of new trends (e.g. zero-touch management (ZTM), AI/ML and Blockchains). INSPIRE-5Gplus project will address key security challenges against the concrete and efficient realisation of 5G through vertical applications, ranging from autonomous and connected cars to Critical Industry 4.0. The project expects to deliver unique assets to achieve intelligent and trusted multi-tenancy (i.e. confident, evidence-based, and liable) across multi-tenants infrastructure.
University of Oulu NetSEC research group contributes to work packages WP2 - Future of 5G Security, WP3 - Smart (Intelligent/Adaptive/Flexible) 5G Security and WP5 - Integration and validation of 5G security use cases and WP6 - Dissemination, Standardisation and Exploitation. We intend to use a hierarchical Blockchain network to develop a secure and privacy enabled federated slice brokering mechanism for IoT tenants under the umbrella of a multi operator platform. In our solution federation refers to the orchestration of services (i.e., network functions, computational resources, etc.) offered by multiple local operators.
More information: https://www.inspire-5gplus.eu/
Articles in journals
- P. Porambage, G. Gur, D. Osorio, M. Liyanage, A. Gurtov, M. Ylianttila, "The Roadmap to 6G Security and Privacy", accepted to IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society, 2021. (JuFo 1)
- N. Weerasinghe, T. Hewa, S. Kanhere, M. Liyanage, M. Ylianttila, "A Novel Blockchain-as-a-Service (BaaS) Platform for Local 5G Operators", accepted to IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society, 2021 (IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society. (JuFo 1)
- Y. Siriwardhana, P. Porambage, M. Ylianttila, M. Liyanage, "Performance Analysis of Local 5G Operator Architectures for Industrial Internet", accepted to IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2020. (Impact Factor 9.936, JuFo 2)
- T. Hewa, M. Ylianttila, M. Liyanage, "Survey on Blockchain based Smart Contracts: Applications, Opportunities and Challenges", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier, 2020 . (Impact factor: 5.570, JuFo 1 )
- D. P. M. Osorio, E. E. B. Olivo, H. Alves and M. Latva-Aho, "Safeguarding MTC at the Physical Layer: Potentials and Challenges," in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 101437-101447, 2020.(Impact factor 4.098, JuFo 2)
Articles in conference proceedings
- T. Hewa, A. Kalla, P. Porambage, M. Liyanage, M. Ylianttila, "How DoS Attacks Can Be Mounted on Network Slice Broker and Can They Be Mitigated Using Blockchain?", accepted to in 2021 IEEE 32nd Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 13-16 September 2021.
- P. Porambage, G. Gur, D. Osorio, M. Liyanage, M. Ylianttila, "6G Security Challenges and Potential Solutions, accepted to 2021 EuCNC & 6G Summit.
- T. Hewa, N. Weerasinghe, P. Porambage, A. Kalla, G. Xilouris, M. Christopoulou, M. Liyanage, M. Ylianttila,"SFSBroker: Secure and Federated Network Slice Broker for 5G and Beyond", accepted to 2021 EuCNC & 6G Summit - Posters.
- N. Weerasinghe, T. Hewa, M. Dissanayake, M. Ylianttila and M. Liyanage, "Blockchain-based Roaming and Offload Service Platform for Local 5G Operators," 2021 IEEE 18th Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2021, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/CCNC49032.2021.9369516.
- T. Hewa, A. Braeken, M. Ylianttila, M. Liyanage, "Multi-Access Edge Computing and Blockchain-based Secure Telehealth System Connected with 5G and IoT", accepted to IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom) December 2020, Taipei, Taiwan.
- T. Hewa, G. Gür, A. Kalla, M. Ylianttila, A. Bracken, and M. Liyanage, 2020, March. "The Role of Blockchain in 6G: Challenges, Opportunities and Research Directions". In 2020 2nd 6G Wireless Summit (6G SUMMIT) (pp. 1-5). IEEE.