Research group leader
Research group description
Human genetics in complex diseases has taken an enormous step forward during the past two decades. Here, I will utilize resources including FINNGEN, UK biobank and Estonian biobank to study the heritable component of complex diseases in disease areas of musculoskeletal disorders, women’s health, dermatology, pulmonology, ophthalmology and infectious diseases in up to 1.3 million participants. The studies are conducted at the University of Oulu together with clinical expert groups within each clinical area.
Where are we headed
Our aim is to harness the FINNGEN resources in best possible way together with clinical groups in Oulu to uncover hundreds of loci underlying the risk of understudied common complex diseases.
Our main collaborators
- Kaisa Tasanen-Määttä/Laura Huilaja (dermatology)
- Jaro Karppinen/Juhani Määttä (musculoskeletal diseases)
- Johanna Liinamaa/Ville Saarela (ophthalmology)
- Outi Uimari (women’s health)
- Timo Hautala (Infectious diaseases)
- Riitta Kaarteenaho (Pulmonology)