Remote Invigilated Distance Exams
The University of Oulu has decided to allow remote invigilated distance exams (distance supervised exams) in accordance with the instructions prepared by the university and taking care of the student's data protection. Primarily, the University of Oulu further recommends that teachers use alternative assessment practices or, for example, an electronic exam in the Exam system to assess their academic performance.
Teachers Instructions for Remote Invigilation of Distance Exams (staff intranet Patio, requires log in) are based on the joint use of the Moodle learning environment and Zoom video conferencing software.
The following principles should be followed when conducting remote invigilated distance exams:
- If distance supervision is used, an option for the distance supervised exam must always be arranged to take the exam at the university premises. The alternative should be arranged so that it treats the student on an equal footing with the distance supervised exam.
- To participate in distance supervised exams, the student needs a computer and a smartphone with a camera and free Zoom app.
- In order to take a distance supervised exam, the student must have a quiet space with as few personal elements as possible.
- By participating in distance supervising, the student agrees to the terms of the supervising, such as keeping the camera on. The student has the right to suspend supervision during the exam, for example due to an unexpected situation, but suspending supervision may result in rejection of the exam.
- The examiner can verify the identity of the student for the exam.
- The exam situation is not recorded.
Students must register for distance supervised exams. Teachers will inform students in more detail about the other details of the exam well in advance of the exam. Distance supervision related to distance exams is used to be able to offer students flexible opportunities to complete their studies even during a pandemic.