RPL - studies completed in formal education

RPL - studies completed in formal education

Regocnition of studies completed in formal education refers to previously acquired studies that the student has taken in some Finnish or foreign higher education institution. Previous studies are systematic concerning the time spent in learning and in relation to learning objectives, and the student has received an official certificate of it. Studies can be substituted with studies completed at universities, universities of applied sciences and open universities. A student can apply for substitution when they have completed enough substitute studies that their extent equals the extent of the studies to be substituted, with a tolerance of one credit. 

Required attachments for recognition of studies completed in formal education (pdf):

  1. Approved PSP in pdf-format (if you could not choose the substituted course directly from the electronic PSP).
  2. Documentation of education (such as certified copies of certificates and transcripts of records; pdf-copies of the original). Titles of programmes/courses must be provided in English (NOTE! official translations from the higher education institution).
  3. Course descriptions: containing information on course content, learning outcomes, learning methods, literature and credits. If a description is not available in Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must provide one in English. Descriptions need to have sources clearly listed.
  4. Applicants with a completed degree must attach a copy of the Diploma or Certificate (pdf-copies of the original) and, at least, the title of the degree earned in English (contained, for example, in the Diploma Supplement). If the degree certificate is not available in Finnish, Swedish or English, the applicant must provide a translation in English.
  5. Todistus kokonaisuudesta, mikäli haetaan hyväksilukua tietyn kokonaisuuden perusteella (esim: psykologian perusopinnot, 25 op).
  6. For studies in a foreign higher education institution, the student must provide an account of the extent of the studies in credits and the number of study hours required for the credits, the grading scale used at the university and a link to an explanation of the exchange university’s grading scale on the university website.
  7. Other relevant documentation to establish equivalent learning.

Upon request, the student must provide the original certificates. 

Last updated: 14.5.2019