The most importat G Suite services
You pay attention to the fact that on different services there can be their own use conditions and agreements the acceptance of which is a precondition for the use of the service.
NOTE: Read this in case you want to forward incoming emails to another account: Automatically forward incoming emails to another account
Activate the service
- You can activate the service by opening an activation form.
- Open the activation form: use Firefox or Chrome, or Remote Desktop connection. If asked, log in the IDM portal with the University's account and password. After the filling of the form the service will be available in about two (2) hours.
Logging in the G Suite service
You can only log in to the service if you have made the required activation tasks and furthermore, more than two hours have elapsed from them. If login does not succeed or all the services will not be available after two hours, wait until the following day or try activation one more time with another WWW browser.
- Link to the G Suite portal: http://edu.oulu.fi.
- Use your University's user account and password to login to all G Suite services.
- If you like to save portal's address as a bookmark or as a favorite in WWW browser, be sure the address is saved as shown above. Otherwise the authentication will fail and pages will not open.
- You can log in Google services also on the other pages, for example https://drive.google.com/. On these kind of pages, use your account in form: email@example.com
G Suite is external cloud service
When you consider the activating the service into your use, pay attention, among others, to the following points:
- The service is external cloud service.
- You use service independently and at your own risk. The University has no possibility to offer support in the problem situations which are related to the service. In these situations please contact support of Google.
- Your name, your username and your e-mail address of the service are saved in the cloud service and are seen by other G Suite users of the University of Oulu.
- Realise the fact also that the use conditions and licences may change without Google informing about changes. In practice it can mean that your personal data and your files saved in the service by you could be copied to the other parties.
- Google does not make back-up copies of the Google Drive storage space which comes into your use. Take care of the back-up copying yourself.
- The right to use the G Suite ends at the latest when the validity of the username of the University ends.
Do not handle confiodental or secret material in cloud services! This kind of information is, among other, the persomal data. The Prohibition also applies to the e-mail of the G Suite service. Please see the instructions of different kind of data protected and publicity here.
- G Suite for Education Agreement: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms_ie.html
- Data Processing Amendment to G Suite Agreement: https://www.google.com/intx/fi/work/apps/terms/dpa_terms.html
- Standard Contractual Clauses: https://www.google.com/intx/fi/work/apps/terms/mcc_terms.html
NOTE: You accept all the above mentioned terms by activating the service into your use.
Problems and support
It is not possible for the University to offer support in the problem situations which are related to the service. Please use Google's support services instead. If you suspect that the services do not operate, you can monitor the status here.
Communities and services from which hints and a user support can be searched for:
- Google for Education Help Forum
- Google for Education Suomi
- GAFE Finland Facebook-group
- G Suite for Education Google+
- Google for Education YouTube channel
- Get Started with Google Apps for Education
G Suite was previously known as GAFE (Google Apps For Education).
Last updated: 17.6.2020