Master's in Biochemistry
In addition to theoretical knowledge, the master’s degree in Biochemistry offers strong hands-on laboratory skills and training of modern methods by teachers active in research.
Biochemistry, Master's Programme in Biochemistry
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Biochemistry
- Chance to do internships in the university labs or in partner companies, as well as to do hands-on experimental work during your studies.
- On top of hypoxia research, strong record in structural biochemistry, extra-cellular matrix.
- In-depth training in understanding structure-function relationships of proteins and their characterisation.
- Highly flexible degree, students may explore study options and specialize in protein biochemistry or molecular medicine, or various other branches.
- Competitive and valued degree offers very good opportunities to apply for graduate programmes all over the world in prestigious institutions.
The Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine offers a highly international environment of cutting edge research in protein structure analysis, enzymology, proteomics, bioimaging, developmental biology, matrix biology and metabolism research.
The faculty is very diverse, as about fifty percent of the staff is native to other countries than Finland, and research groups are well connected globally to other specialists and research groups in their fields of study.
Due to the programme's small intake, students get a lot of attention, sometimes even one-to-one teaching. Reaching out to professors' offices is made easy. Students benefit from collegial interaction and the English-speaking study environment.
"In general, continuous assessment is used in the courses, which means that the final exam of a course is not the sole determining factor in the final grade. In addition to, or as part of, lectures activating working methods are used, like problem solving, workshops and seminars."
The faculty is also dedicated to combining its expertise in chemistry with knowledge in biofluidics. This new development is aimed at the design of novel diagnostic tools, devices which are reliable, portable, easy to use and enormously helpful in diagnosing diseases and monitoring patients.
Core skills and competence
Education leading to a Master's degree in Protein Science and Biotechnology or Molecular medicine provides the student with the ability to
- Apply scientific knowledge and methods to topical tasks and to undertake scientific research under supervision.
- Analyze information and data and place their setting within a theoretical network accompanied by critical reflection and assessment.
- Integrate the subject area as a coherent whole.
- Communicate with good language skills for national and international tasks.
- Demonstrate transferable and cognitive skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and critically about science using a variety of approaches.
- Apply further knowledge, including the abilities to conceive, design and implement independent research.
- Demonstrate capability for scientific postgraduate work.
Programme structure and courses
The skills gained in the programme offer you the academic training and expertise required to succeed in a research environment. Graduates of the programme have been able to get into very prestigious Ph.D. programmes in universities around the world, such as Harvard, Imperial College, Oxford, Karoliniska, Zürich, Lausanne, Helsinki, Vienna, Copenhagen and so on. Many have also stayed at FBMM Oulu to continue in our Ph.D. Programme. The programme will also open many opportunities in biomedical and related industries.
Successful applicants should hold a B.Sc. or higher degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field in the natural or life sciences and have a good command of technical English language in biochemistry and molecular biology.
Get hands-on skills in molecular biology work
The degree contains altogether up to 10 months of laboratory work spread over different courses. This means that once students graduate, they will have an enormous amount of experience in laboratory work.