XLIX Finnish Conference of Linguistics
Nordic Art Hotel Lasaretti
Finnish Conference of Linguistics 2023
The XLIX Finnish Conference of Linguistics will be held on 24–26 May 2023 in Oulu, at Nordic Art Hotel Lasaretti. The conference does not have a specific theme. The keynote speakers are
- Tuomo Hiippala (University of Helsinki): Laskennalliset menetelmät multimodaalisen viestinnän ja vuorovaikutuksen tutkimuksessa
- Maija Hirvonen (Tampere University): Merkityksen synty vuorovaikutuksessa
- Ksenia Shagal (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München): Suomen syntaksi areaalisesta näkökulmasta
- Anna Puupponen (University of Jyväskylä): Kun valtavirta ei riitä: haasteita ja laastareita viittomakielen tutkijan työssä.
In addition to the plenary presentations, the conference programme includes section papers, workshops, poster walk as well as a panel discussion organized by the Linguistic Association of Finland (SKY). The topic of the panel is popularization of research in linguistics.
The programme of the conference will be published by 28 April.
Submission of presentations is closed.
The main languages of the conference are Finnish, Swedish and English, but presentations in other languages are also welcome.
The following workshops have been accepted to the XLIX Finnish Conference of Linguistics:
- Beyond corpus data 2 – what data and methods do research questions need?
- English in Finland
- What’s up, what’s come as unexpected, and what’s expected in future research on linguistic and bodily involvement in multicultural interactions
- Kielitieteen tutkimuskohteet: kohti 2030-lukua
- Määrittelyn ja talkoistamisen kysymyksiä Tieteen termipankissa
On Wednesday 24 May at 7 pm the city of Oulu will host a free-of-charge reception (the location will be notified later). The programme includes the city’s greeting and refreshments. The reception accepts 200 participants.
On Thursday 25 May at 7 pm there will be a self-financed conference dinner at Radisson Blu Oulu (54€). The dinner accepts 100 persons. See the menu here (pdf).
Registration for both events should be completed in the same form as conference registration. The conference dinner ticket is paid together with conference payment.
Registration and conference fee
The registration is open 20 March – 16 April 2023 at https://tinyurl.com/kielitiede23. The regular registration fee is 120€; the fee for students and doctoral researchers is 80€. The registration fee includes lunch buffet (Thu-Fri) and coffee (Wed-Fri). Registration fee is paid at registration to the University of Oulu account FI66 8919 9710 0010 29. The code ‘24304466’ and the name of the registered person should be written in the message box. The registration fee will not be returned.
Accommodation and venue
We have booked a quota of hotel rooms for the conference participants at six hotels in Oulu at a special price. Booking should be done directly with the hotel. See the hotels here (Note: the information in the document is only in Finnish. If you need further information, please contact the Organizing committee).
Nordic Art Hotel Lasaretti is located on the edge of Hupisaaret Islands Park north of the city centre. Distances: from the railway station/bus station 1.3 km, from the airport 17.8 km. For further information (such as parking), see the hotel's website.
More information about Oulu: visitoulu.fi/en
- 1st circular (pdf)
- 2nd circular (pdf)
- 3rd circular (pdf)
- 4th circular (pdf)
- Pentti Haddington & Jari Sivonen (chairs)
- Sisko Brunni
- Sabine Grasz
- Jukka Mettovaara
- Santeri Palviainen
- Elisa Risto
- Tiina Räisänen
- Katja Västi