Financial Aid

Information about financial aid during education.

Financial Aid

If you are not a Finnish citizen, you may be entitled to financial aid with education in Finland if

  • you are registered as a permanent resident of Finland in the population register system and
  • your purpose for residence in Finland is something other than education (for example, work, family ties or return migration).

If you are in Finland for the express purpose of attending school, you are not eligible for financial aid from Finland.

For more information on financial aid see Kela's www pages.

Proof of Non-Eligibility for Student Financial Aid

Some international students getting grants from home countries may require proof from KELA that they are not eligible for Finnish study aid. However, in order for KELA to process this request, you must have a Finnish Personal Identity Number.

Personal Identity Number

Most students get this when they complete civil registration. However, if you do not have one, e.g. if you are an exchange student from the EU/EEA area staying for 3 months or less, you will have to get one if you wish to deal with KELA. First, you must register yourself as resident in Finland (see Migri for more information), and then obtain the number at your local Magistrates office (Oulun Maistraatti)

Kela’s contact information: