Medical Imaging Teaching and Test Laboratory (Mittlab)
University of Oulu
- ProfessorMiika Nieminen
In this project University of Oulu and Oulu University of Applied Sciences establish and develop in collaboration a medical imaging teaching and test laboratory, that is dedicated into research, teaching, innovation, development and testing activities. Laboratory is located in the premises of Oulu University Hospital and its utilizer include for instance University of Oulu, Oulu University of Applied Sciences, Oulu University Hospital and a group of Finnish companies. Part of the imaging equipment of the laboratory will be purchased in the project and part is donated by Oulu University Hospital. In addition to physical equipment, laboratory offers several virtual tools, that will be developed in the project.
Laboratories suitability into teaching, product development, innovation and testing activities will be demonstrated in five pilot projects, in which we:
1. Establish and develop an internationally known teaching, research, development and testing environment.
2. Develop 360°-virtual environments for several imaging modalities.
3. Demonstrate laboratory’s suitability for product development and research with real research cases.
4. Demonstrate laboratory’s suitability for hardware testing by conducting x-ray equipment characterization using laboratory’s test objects.
5. Develop virtual tools, that enable realistic studying of different imaging modalities (CT, radiography, MRI) independent of time and place.
Laboratory offers a single infrastructure, which serves the needs of education, companies and research in a versatile manner in the field of medical imaging.