Preliminary information on call for applications Spring 2023
University of Oulu Graduate school opens a grant call for doctoral researchers in April 2023.
You can apply for travel grant when you travel to national or international conference or course, research visit or trip for data collection, or funding for virtual course or conference when you participate to the event remotely.
The deadline for applications is 2nd of May 2023. Online application form opens in April.
In this call, you can apply for a grant for travels occurring between June and December 2023 .
Call for travel grants (updated 11 November 2022)
Doctoral researchers of the University of Oulu Graduate School are invited to apply for travel grants for national and international conferences, courses, workshops, research visits, trips for data collection, as well as for virtual conferences and virtual courses.. Travel grants may be used to cover travel and accommodation costs and/or conference, course and workshop registration fees. When awarded a grant to attend a conference, the recipient of the grant must have a poster presentation and/or an oral presentation during the meeting.
In all travelling, one must always follow travel guidelines of University of Oulu as well as possible travel restrictions set by Government of Finland.
Conference/course/travel must occur between January 2023 and July 2023 (i.e., departure at the latest 31.7.2023).
When applying a travel grant, please note the following guidelines and principles:
- Research visit corresponds to a period of at least one week during which the applicant will carry out research work related to the doctoral training in a research organisation elsewhere in Finland, or abroad.
- If your doctoral training plan has not been accepted in recommended time (during ca. the first year of doctoral studies), the likelihood of receiving the grant will be reduced.
- You may apply for a travel grant before you (or your presentation) are accepted for a course or a conference: the grant will be cancelled if your participation at the conference or course is not accepted.
- The grant must be used for the purpose for which it is awarded. Changes to the use of the grant are not allowed after it has been awarded.
- Previous travel grants awarded by UniOGS will also be taken into account during the decision process. Typically you cannot get funding in two consecutive calls.
The amount of the grant for courses and conferences is determined by the destination of the trip; up to 500 € may be awarded for trips in Finland, 1200 € for trips in Europe and 1700 € trips outside Europe. The amount awarded for research visits will be decided separately, on a case-by-case basis, maximum 4000 €. No doctoral researcher will be awarded more than one grant in a given year. Grants are never awarded retro-actively: they must be applied for before the trip.
For virtual course or conference the maximum amount of the grant is 500€ and it can be used for registration fee.
The deadline for applying is 27.11.2022. Apply funding using the online application form.
Required attachments to the application:
- A letter of recommendation from your Principal Supervisor, indicating the importance of this trip for your doctoral studies and evaluation of the progress of your doctoral training.
- Invitation letter from receiving organization (research visits)
Incomplete applications, or applications arriving after the deadline, will not be considered. Travel grant recipients will be announced on UniOGS website after the decision.