Career Counselling and Employability Services
A special welcome to all our international students – wherever you are.
Whether you have just arrived at the University or are returning for the start of yet another year, we are delighted to see you.
When to contact Career Services
You can contact Career Services if you are registered as a student or researcher at the Oulu Univeristy. We offer assistance, if you:
- Need help with questions relating to job seeking
- Need information about the labour market situation
- Need information about the integration of graduating students into working life
- Help with how to find thesis and traineeship placement opportunities
The service includes:
- Career Guidance
- Internship and Master Thesis Guidance
- Individual Career Counselling (HelpDesk)
- Collaboration with trade and industry
- Employability development
Career Services can provide help on different topics such as:
- Recognising your own competences and articulating your skills
- Preparing job seeking documents
- Preparing for a job interview
- Developing your own professional personal brand
- Finding opportunities for internships and jobs.
We are not providing direct placements, jobs or company lists for applying, but we can help you with your job hunting journey and point you to right direction.
For traineeship issues please see the Traineeships page
Education that prepares you for employment
At University of Oulu, we encourage independent critical thinking and analysis. Rather than just teaching you to pass exams, we develop skills that employers value, such as how to work as part of a team, deliver presentations and tackle problems creatively.
Employability Development Services
In today’s competitive global market, you need more than a strong academic qualification to achieve your potential as a graduate. That ‘s why we give you countless opportunities to make the most of Oulu as an undergraduate student, to boost your employability and set yourself up for throughout your life.
Career counselling and employability services help students in all matters related to career planning, job seeking and employability development. If you are reflecting on your future and your studies, and would like support in understanding and recognising your strengths, help with demonstrating them, or would like to prepare and practice for applying for jobs and interviews, then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and book an appointment or contact International Student Career Specialist Angela Suorsa.
Appointment requests (Note! The application form opens in Finnish first, but you can change the language in English in the top right corner of the page).
The counselling sessions are confidential and last 45-60 minutes, due to COVID-situation, currently all appointments are remote, unless otherwise agreed.
Reception at Linnanmaa: Virransilta and Kauppakatu crossing, 2nd floor, room KK255.
Seminars, Events and Webinars
The University of Oulu offers you the opportunity for true personal and professional change and growth.
By participating in some of our most transformative extra- and co-curricular activities, you’ll be able to broaden your horizons, understand the issues that matter in contemporary society and step up to make a difference to local and global communities.
You’ll do more, dream more, try more and be more!
Coming up in January:
- Job Hunting January 14th January - 21st January 2021
- Löyly 14th January 2021
- Oulu at you Service, 20th January 2021
- Time Managment Workshop
- How to promote yourself with a portfolio
- How to overcome culture shock
Coming up later this year:
- 920036J Employability and Working Life Skills for doctoral students September 2021