What is a Fab Lab?
A fabrication laboratory (Fab Lab) is a small-scale workshop offering digital fabrication. It is comprised of off-the-shelf, industrial-grade fabrication and electronics tools, wrapped in open source software.
Fab Labs include a laser cutter that makes 2D and 3D structures, a sign cutter that plots in copper to make antennas and flex circuits, a high-resolution NC milling machine that makes circuit boards and precision parts, a large wood router for building furniture and housing, and a suite of electronic components and programming tools for low-cost, high-speed microcontrollers for on-site rapid circuit prototyping.
Fab Lab Oulu
Fab Lab Oulu is a small digital manufacturing working area (fabrication laboratory) that complies with open innovation concept developed by MIT in the United States. In Fab Lab it is possible to design your own product or hardware from the scratch. Fab Lab Oulu operates within University of Oulu.
Fab Lab Oulu is the second fab lab existing in Finland. It provides you with a large set of tools, equipment, software, practices - shared according to the Fab Lab concept. Available for use are three 3D-printers, laser cutter, vinyl cutter, precision milling machine, electronics workbenches and open source design software.
You can build your own prototypes or fulfill your needs for different research and education projects in Fab Lab Oulu. Fab Lab Oulu provides various machines, processes, codes, and capabilities that are easy-to-use and help bring your ideas into reality. In addition, Fab Lab Oulu provides you with the possibillity to participate in various events, workshops, projects, and training activities for digital modeling and fabrication.
How Fab Lab works?
- Register to Fab Lab Oulu Scheduler (http://fablab.virtues.fi/fablab/)
- Come for a visit to explore our machines and capabilities
- Design your own work
- Ask help for estimating how much time your work needs
- Reserve time for machine needed from Fab Lab scheduler
- Bring your own materials
- You are responsible for making your own design at your reserved time slot
- Some machines need to be attended at all times while in use
- Take extra materials with you or donate them to Fab Lab (Fab Lab is NOT a storage for users own materials)
- Using machines is free
- Small leftover materials can be found in the Fab Lab (come and check for yourself)
- Staff can help you with machines and design problems
You can build your own prototypes or fulfill your needs for different research and education projects in Fab Lab Oulu.
Fab Lab Oulu provides various machines, processes, codes, and capabilities that are easy-to-use and help bring your ideas into reality.
The following machines are available. For booking a machine, please use the machine booking scheduler.
- Epilog Laser Fusion - laser cutter for 2D/3D design and fabrication. See documentation.
- Epilog Mini - laser cutter for 2D/3D design and fabrication
- Roland SRM-20 - High precision milling machine for making circuits and molds for casting. See documentation.
- Roland GS-24 - Vinyl cutter for making flexible circuits and crafts, such as signs, markers, adverts. See documentation.
- Electronics workbench for prototyping circuits and programming microcontrollers. See documentation.
- Stratasys Fortus 380mc - 3D printer for professional quality printing. See documentation.
You can check how much your print would cost by using the following excel document.
- Formlabs Form 2 - 3D printer for high precision small scale 3D models. See documentation.
- Leapfrog Creatr - 3D printer for rapid prototyping. See documentation.
- Rensi - Large wood routing machine for furniture and housing applications. See documentation.
- Haas - CNC milling machine for milling aluminium.
- Open source software and freeware. See a list of programs available and other facilities available in the computer space.
Last updated: 24.10.2018