Registering as Absent

Registering as absent must be done during the registration period. 
New students: by August 12, 2021 (New International Master's students by September 30, 2021)
Continuing students: May 3 - Sept. 14, 2021

A degree student may register as absent without a specified reason for the duration of a maximum of two academic terms without it affecting the time granted for the completion of a degree. In addition to this, students are entitled to leave of absence on legal grouds (voluntary military service or conscription, maternity, paternity or parental leave or sick leave).  Leave of absence on legal grounds adds to the students study period only if they are registered as absent during the leave. Read more about the target durations of degree studies here.

Registering as Absent

New students and transfer students

New students can register as absent only on legal grounds. Registering as absent must be done by August 12, 2021, at 15.00 / 3:00 pm. Deadline for new International Master's students to register either as present or absent is September 30, 2021. The same rule for absence applies to both new students and transfer students.

  • To register as absent fill in the enrolment and registration form which is available at study affairs forms page and email or mail it with required documents to Academic Affairs Service Team.  Documents (e-mailed or mailed) must arrive to the University by the end of the registration period.
  • Below is a list of documents you can use to prove legal grounds for your absence. Documents need to be in Finnish, Swedish, or in English.
    • Order to enter service stating that you are undergoing service according to the Conscription Act (1438/2007),the  Non-Military Service Act (S1446/2007), or the Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
    • Certificate of maternity, paternity or parent leave from The Social Insurance Institution of Finland KELA, or if such proof is unavailable, a medical certificate of pregnancy. Alternatively corresponding certificates of statutory parental leave from other countries' authorities.
    • Sickness Allowance decision, or if such certificate is not available, a medical certificate stating which illness or injury is in question, and that the illness or injury prevents the student from starting their studies on August 1. Also a detailed account applies on the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury that prohibits student from starting their studies, e.g. certificate by student housing foundation stating that the student is on a waiting list for a special needs apartment needed due to student's injury.
  • If you do not have a proof of legal grounds for your absence at that time, contact Academic Affairs Service Team
  • If you do not register by deadline, you will lose your right to study. If you wish to begin your studies at a later time, you must apply for readmission from the university and pay a re-registration fee.

Additional information:

  • Due to a legislative amendment, during July 1, 2020 - July 31, 2021 new student can also register as absent due to a Covid-19 related reason:
    • Student is able to register as absent for the first year of studies also if covid-19 related restrictions by officials prevents him from starting studies or due to other substantial reason related to the epidemic.
    • If you have grounds described above please present a document of this when registering. Reasons for absences related to Covid-19 epidemic are handled case-by-case.
  • If you already have a right to study for a degree and you have now been granted a new study right, you can register as absent for the academic year only if you have legal grounds for your absence.
  • Should the legal grounds for your absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning of January), you may register as absent for the entire academic year if you wish. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘attending’ to ‘absent’ during the spring term registration period, if you have no study attainments from January. Please note that your study right is only extended according to terms you have a legal ground for absence.


Continuing Students

You can register in following ways:

  1. OILI annual registration service. You can register as absent in OILI. You may also change the status of your registration for the spring term from ‘absent’ to ‘attending’ in OILI during spring registration period.
  2. By email or mail. You can also register as absent by e-mailing or mailing a signed Enrolment and registration form. Attach other required documents with the form, e.g. documents that give proof of legal grounds. E-mail or mail the documents to Academic Affairs Service Team.
  3. By visiting Academic Affairs Service Point. Fill in the Enrolment and registration form in advance. 

If a student has proof of legal grounds for absence from studies (maternal or paternal leave, voluntary or obligatory military service or equivalent),  they should fill in a form entitled “Notification of the Extension of Degree Studies Period” and submit it with the necessary certificates concerning the relevant absences to the their own Academic Affairs Service Team, where the information will be filed in the student records. The form is available at Student Affairs forms page.

Last updated: 24.2.2021