University of Oulu students and staff members can get a library card by downloading Tuudo application from GooglePlay or App Store. Sign in with your university account and you will find library from Tuudo menu. The card will be in your mobile phone. More information from Tuudo website.
If you are not a student or staff member at the University of Oulu, you can get a library card from the library service desk.
The borrowing rules
The collections and services of Oulu University Library are mostly available for use by everyone.
Library users are required to have a library card. To obtain the card they must present proof of identity. The card must be presented when checking out material from the library. The card is personal, and the card holder is responsible for all items borrowed with it. Customers are obliged to notify the library of any address or name changes. It is also advisable to inform the library as soon as possible if you lose your card. Upon accepting the card customers agree to comply with the borrowing rules (pdf-file) and Rules of use of the library (pdf-file).
•Loan periods are 14-28 days.
•Reference library material is available for overnight and weekend loan.
•Material in the rare books collection is only available for reading room use.
•Publications in the legal deposit archive are available for office use to the staff of the University of Oulu, other customers can borrow legal deposit copies only for reading room use in the Pegasus Library.
Renewal of loans
• Loans must be renewed no later than on the due date. Loans can be renewed if there are no pending requests for the publications and the customer’s borrowing rights are not suspended.
• For some collections the number of renewals for each item is limited.
• It is the responsibility of the customer to renew his/her loans in time. If the self-service renewal on the library website does not function, the loans must be renewed in some other way.
Placing a request
• You can only place requests for items that are checked out at the time.
• Requested items ready for pickup will be held for you in the library until the date given in the hold availability notice. Customers will receive an e-mail notification when an item they have requested is available for pickup in the library.
• You can place requests yourself on the library website, by email, in all the libraries or by phone.
• Loans must be returned to the library by their due date at the latest. On the due date the items must be returned to the library during the opening hours. In addition to the above, more detailed instructions may apply for different collections in different libraries.
Advance notification of approaching due date
• Customers are reminded of an approaching due date by email three days before the due date. The customer is still solely responsible for renewing or returning his/her loans in time.
• Reminders of approaching due dates are not sent by regular mail.
• On the day after the due date customers are sent a request by email or regular mail to return the items.
Late fees and suspension of borrowing rights
• Overdue course textbook loans will incur a late fee that is accumulated on a daily basis: 1€ / item / day (max. 10 €/item). Overdue items borrowed from the reference collection will incur a late fee of 10 € / item.
• A customer’s borrowing rights will be suspended 14 days after the due date of an unreturned item or if the customer has accumulated 20 euros or more in late fees.
•The maximum late fee is 50 €.
• If the borrower fails to return his/her loans, on the 38th day after the due date he/she will be billed for the unreturned items. The bill consists of the price of the unreturned items, minimum 45 € / publication.
25 € in unpaid handling expenses will be added to the borrower’s library account. If the borrower returns an item after he has been billed for it, the above handling expenses will nevertheless be charged.
Lost or damaged publications
• The borrower can compensate for a lost or damaged item by purchasing a new copy for the library or by paying the price of the item (minimum 45 €).