Doctoral researchers of the University of Oulu Graduate School are invited to apply for travel grants for national and international conferences, courses, workshops and research visits as well as trips for data collection. Travel grants may be used to cover travel and accommodation costs and/or conference, course and workshop registration fees. When awarded a grant to attend a conference, the recipient of the grant must have a poster presentation and/or an oral presentation during the meeting.
When applying a travel grant, please note the following guidelines and principles:
- Research visit corresponds to a period of at least one week during which the applicant will carry out research work related to the doctoral training in a research organisation elsewhere in Finland, or abroad. Invitation letter from the receiving organisation is required for other research visits than data collection trips.
- If your doctoral training plan has not been accepted in recommended time (during ca. the first year of doctoral studies), the likelihood of receiving the grant will be reduced.
- You may apply for a travel grant before you (or your presentation) are accepted for a course or a conference: the grant will be cancelled if your participation at the conference or course is not accepted.
- The grant must be used for the purpose for which it is awarded. Changes to the use of the grant are not allowed after it has been awarded.
- Previous travel grants awarded by UniOGS will also be taken into account during the decision process.
The amount of the grant for courses and conferences is determined by the destination of the trip; up to 500 € may be awarded for trips in Finland, 1000 € for trips in Europe and 1500 € trips outside Europe. The amount awarded for research visits will be decided separately, on a case-by-case basis, maximum 4000 €. No doctoral researcher will be awarded more than one grant in a given year. Grants are never awarded retro-actively: they must be applied for before the trip.
Annual application deadlines
- 15.11. for travels taking place in next spring term (January-May)
- 15.5. for travels taking place in next fall term (August-December)
- Funding for trips which take place during summer (June-July) can be applied in both calls
Travel grant recipients who are employees of University of Oulu, will claim the funds via travel management system for university staff after the trip. Others can claim the grant immediately after decision. All the travel grant recipients are insured by the University. Please ask for a travel insurance card from your research unit or from office HR446, Linnanmaa campus.
Applying for a travel grant
Travel grants are applied using the Travel Grant Application Form. The application form must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A letter of recommendation from your Principal Supervisor, indicating the importance of this trip for your doctoral studies
- The report from your last follow-up meeting. If you do not yet have a follow-up group, you should provide a letter from your Principal Supervisor evaluating the progress of your doctoral training.
- Invitation letter from receiving organization (research visits)
Send documents to uniogs (at) oulu.fi. Incomplete applications, or applications arriving after the deadline, will not be considered.
Travel grant recipients will be announced on UniOGS website after the decision.
For further information, please contact the coordinators of the Graduate School.
Additional call for applications in 2020 for travel grants and grants for virtual conferences and courses
University of Oulu Graduate school opens two grant calls for doctoral students in June 2020. You can apply:
1) Travel grant when you travel to national or international conference or course.
2) Funding for virtual course or conference when you participate to the event remotely.
You can apply in both calls to separate events. The deadline for applying is 16.8.2020. Conference/course/visit should take place between 17.8. and 30.11.2020.
Apply travel grant using above mentioned application form.
You can apply funding for participating doctoral level online course or virtual conference. The amount of the grant is max 500€ which is used for registration fee. Course or conference has to be suitable for applicants' doctoral studies (advanced level with relevant content). Applicant is required to search for suitable course or conference by him/herself. Note that there are also many free online courses and conferences organized. By participating on these it is possible to gain ECTS credits based on supervisor's evaluation. Apply funding for online course or virtual course using this application form.
Submit the statement from supervisor (which is obligatory attachment) to uniogs (at) oulu.fi. Supervisor commitment must include:
- Justification of the importance of the course/conference
- Justification of the suitability of the course/conference to applicant’s doctoral studies (is the course a doctoral level course)
- Supervisor's estimate of the number of credits (ECTS) that can be granted from the course/conference.
NB! In all travelling, one must always follow travel guidelines of University of Oulu as well as possible travel restrictions set by Government of Finland.
Last updated: 18.6.2020