I am currently working on the international project "Business Index North". Business Index North is a project that contributes to sustainable development and value creation through increased global awareness of business opportunities in the Arctic. Business Index North report is a recurring, knowledge-based, systematic information tool for stakeholders. Stakeholders of the projects include businesses, academics, governments and regional authorities, as well as media in the Arctic states.
- Circular economy
- Tax transparency
- Sustainable business
I am a Fellow of Science for Diplomacy for Addressing Global Challenges (S4D4C) EU-funded project where I have direct contact with decision makers at ministries, funding agencies, and European and international organizations.
I was selected to European Financial Reporting Advisory Group Special Task Force on Climate-Related reporting.
Positions of trust related to the Arctic:
- Invited expert on the topic of Arctic Trade at Arctic Conflict Simulation 29, September 2018
- Invited speaker on Busines Index North project at Association of European Border Regions Conference in Oulu 19-22, September 2018
- Invited expert to Arctic Security Seminar at George Marshall Center of Security Studies, 9-13, July 2018
- Witness at the UK Parliament Environmental Audit Committee on the Changing Arctic 3, July 2018
Arctic research articles:
Dybtsyna, A., Hersinger, A. & Middleton, A. (2019 forthcoming). The Rhetoric and Practice of Business Research Collaboration among High North Universities. Barents Studies
Middleton, A. (2019). Is Future of the European Arctic Socially Sustainable. The Arctic Institute Articles
Middleton, A. (2019). Arctic Smart Specialization. Arctic Frontiers, 20-25, January, Tromso, Norway
Middleton, A. (2018). The Power of Connectivity in the Arctic, University of Arctic Congress, September 3-7, 2018, University of Oulu, Finland.
Middleton, A. (2018). The Future of Arctic Investment: Focus on the Arctic Investment Protocol, Northern Political Economy Symposium on 29–30 August 2018, Rovaniemi
Middleton, A. (2017). Strategies of High North Universities as Interactive phenomenon: Mirroring of Arctic strategies and policies. 24th Nordic Academy of Management Conference, August 23-25, 2017, Bodø, Norway.
Circular economy research
- 2018 Middleton, A., McKernan, J. & Favotto, A. (2018) Circular economy; a new paradigm or just sustainability re-branded? presented at the University of Exeter's symposium on the circular economy 17-19, June 2018
Together with my co-author Jenni Muttonen we write a book on Multinational Enterprises and Transparent Tax Reporting that will be published in 2019 by Routledge.
This book addresses the phenomenon of tax transparency by multinational enterprises, setting it apart from tax avoidance and tax evasion. Tax transparency is defined as firms’ voluntary disclosure of its tax policies, payments, regional tax distributions and other tax related information that is not currently demanded by legislation.