I am a professor and unit head in the Ecology and Genetics Research Unit. My research centers on conservation and evolutionary genetics mainly of large vertebrates. I am interested on evolutionary processes associated with environmental changes and human animal-interactions in various timescales especially in heavily exploited or domesticated animals that have small population sizes or have been significantly impacted by several anthropogenic or climatic events. I am using both present day and fossil and museum specimen DNA to build up more complete evolutionary histories of the study species. The research has often important management/conservation implication.
More information on Wildlife Genomics Research Group.
- Conservation genetics and genomics
- Ecological genetics and genomics
- Ancient DNA-studies
- Leader, Wildlife Genomics
- Honka, Johanna; Heino, Matti T.; Kvist, Laura; Askeyev, Igor V.; Shaymuratova, Dilyara N.; Askeyev, Oleg V; Askeyev, Arthur O.; Heikkinen, Marja E.; Searle, Jeremy B.; Aspi, Jouni (2018) Over a Thousand Years of Evolutionary History of Domestic Geese from Russian Archaeological Sites, Analysed Using Ancient DNA. - Genes 9 (7), 367 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Heino, Matti T.; Granroth, Janne; Aspi, Jouni; Pihlström, Henry (2019) A previously undescribed Javan tiger Panthera tigris sondaica specimen, and other old, rare tiger specimens in the Finnish Museum of Natural History. - Mammal study 44 (1), 41-50, 0036 . [Original]
- Kvist, Laura; Niskanen, Markku; Mannermaa, Kristiina; Wutke, Saskia; Aspi, Jouni (2019) Genetic variability and history of a native Finnish horse breed. - Genetics selection evolution 51, 35 . [Original] [Self-archived]
- Granroth-Wilding, Hanna; Primmer, Craig; Lindqvist, Meri; Poutanen, Jenni; Thalmann, Olaf; Aspi, Jouni; Harmoinen, Jenni; Kojola, Ilpo; Laaksonen, Toni (2017) Non-invasive genetic monitoring involving citizen science enables reconstruction of current pack dynamics in a re-establishing wolf population. - BMC Ecology 17, 1-15, 44 . [Original]