Growth into citizenship in civil society encounters is a consortium project which combines the expertise of development ethnography and ph
Ph.D. (University of Helsinki)
Theory and Philosophy of Education
- citizenship in plural societies
- critical thinking
- Israel Scheffler's philosophy
- methodology of educational research
- Holma, Katariina; Kontinen, Tiina & Blanken-Webb, Jane (2018) "Growth into Citizenship: Framework for Conceptualizing Learning in NGO Interventions in Sub-Saharan Africa" Adult Education Quarterly, OnlineFirst.
- Holma, Katariina (2018) “Israel Scheffler’s antireductionism and today’s narrowing scope of education” in Smeyers, Paul (ed.) International Handbook of Philosophy of Education. Dordrecht: Springer. (in press)
- Holma, Katariina & Huhtala Hanna-Maija (2017) "Non-Idealizing the Theory of Autonomy: Theodor W. Adorno's Psychological and Political Critique of Immanuel Kant" Philosophy of Education: The Yearbook 2014. Urbana, IL: Philosophy of Education Society: 373-381.
- Holma, Katariina & Kontinen, Tiina (2016) “The Rocky Road of Growth into Contemporary Citizenship: Dewey, Gramsci, and the Method of Democracy,” Studier i Pædagogisk Filosofi, 4(2), 24-37.
- Holma, Katariina & Hyytinen, Heidi (2015) “The Philosophy of Personal Epistemology,” Theory and Research in Education 13(3), 334-350.
- Holma, Katariina (2015) "The Critical Spirit. Emotional and Moral Dimensions of Critical Thinking," Studier i Pædagogisk Filosofi 4(1), 17-28.
- Hyytinen, Heidi; Holma, Katariina; Toom, Auli; Shavelson, Richard & Lindblom-Ylänne, Sari (2014). "The complex relationship between students' critical thinking and epistemologcial beliefs in the context of problem solving," Frontline Learning Research 2(5), 1-24.
- Holma, Katariina. (2012) “Fallibilist Pluralism and Education for Shared Citizenship,” Educational Theory, 62(4): 397-409.
- Holma, Katariina. (2011) “The Epistemological Conditions of Moral Education: the Notions of Rationality and Objectivity Revisited,” Educational Theory 61(5): 533-548.
- Holma, Katariina. (2009) “The Strict Analysis and the Open Discussion,” Journal of Philosophy of Education 43(3): 325-338.