How to verify your educational documents
What is verification and how do i verify my educational documents?
All educational documents (transcripts and degree certificates) must be verified before your study place is final. If you do not verify your educational documents by the deadline, your study place will be cancelled!
What does verification mean?
It means that we need to see more than just copies of your educational documents on your electronic application. We must be able to make sure that your educational documents are official and are not fabricated/false and that they truly are your own documents. Depending on your country of education, level of your degree, and other things, verification is done in a few different ways (electronic systems, stamps on your documents, apostilles, etc.). Please read the following information carefully and find out how you must verify your documents.
There are two main ways of verifying your documents:
- Country-specific requirements: For certain countries listed below these requirements must be followed first and foremost before any other requirements for document attestation.
- Please note: If one of the electronic verifying systems we have listed below is at use in your country/institute of education, you can use those services to verify your documents instead of country-specific requirements.
- General verification requirements: If your country of education is not on the list of country-specific requirements, your educational documents must be either
- officially certified (attested) by the awarding institution
- OR carry an apostille
- OR be otherwise legalised (see more information on Apostille and Legalisation below)
- Please note: If one of the electronic verifying systems we have listed below is at use in your country/institute of education, you can use those services to verify your documents instead of general verification requirements.
NB! Please note that officially certified copies issued by notaries public in countries other than Finland are not accepted without legalisation.
What are country-specific documents?
Applicants, whose higher secondary qualifications or higher education degrees have been awarded in certain countries, need to pay special attention to the documentation before submitting it. The country-specific requirements must always be followed first and foremost, before any other requirements for attesting documents.
Please note that if your country-specific requirements only refer to the verification of one document (for example only mentions sending your transcript to us by post), you still must verify your other educational documents (for example your degree certificate) according to the general verification requirements.
If your country is not available on the list, you have to follow the general document requirements. An English, Finnish or Swedish translation (or an English-language Diploma Supplement concerning graduates from European universities) is also required if the document is not written in one of aforementioned languages.
If you are required to provide the educational documents directly from the awarding institution, please provide the University of Oulu Registry Office address to your university.
Requirements for Bachelor's Degrees: Applicants who receive a study offer need to verify the educational documents according to given instructions and send them to University of Oulu by 28 April 2023, at 15:00 / 3pm (EET). If you are admitted to a Bachelor's Degree at Universtiy of Oulu, please see country-specific information under "Requirements for Bachelor's Degrees".
Requirements for Master's Degrees: Applicants who receive a study offer need to verify the educational documents according to given instructions and send them to University of Oulu by 28 April, 2023 at 15:00 / 3pm (EET). If you have been admitted to a Master's Degree at Universtiy of Oulu please see country-specific informaton under "Requirements for Master's Degrees".
If your academic qualification was completed at an offshore campus, please follow the country-specific instructions for the country where the main university is located or accredited.
Electronic verification services
We also accept verified educational documents electronically through certain international transcript services. When submitting your electronic educational documents through one of these services, please remember to direct the document to the University of Oulu. Please refer to the services’ own instructions for more details on how to use each service.
Please note that if your educational documents are required in a sealed envelope according to a country-specific requirement, it is acceptable to submit the documents through an electronic transcript service instead.
List of accepted electronic document verification services:
- Gradintelligence (United Kingdom) https://gradintel.com
- Truecopy (India) http://www.electronictranscripts.com
- My eQuals (Australia, New Zealand) https://www.myequals.edu.au/students/
- CSSD (China; former CHESICC ) https://www.chsi.com.cn/en/
- National Student Clearinghouse (North America) https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/
- Digitary http://www.digitary.net/
- Parchment https://www.parchment.com
In some cases we may accept new electronic document services suggested by the applicant, if they meet our verification criteria. University of Oulu will uphold the right to make the final decision on whether we accept the new service or not.