Master's in Biomedical Engineering
Duration of studies
Open university studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Biomedical Engineering
- Study a multidisciplinary degree combining medicine with modern information technology in state-of-the-art facilities, including a brand-new medical imaging laboratory.
- Learn novel health technologies such as biomaterials, biomechanics, medical imaging, digital signal and image analysis, machine learning and big data. Learn also about Internet of Medical Things such as sensors, medical software and wireless networks.
- Flexibility to choose biomedical engineering courses, three modules tailored to provide depth to the degree.
- Enjoy of up-to-date teaching by qualified professionals and participate in research measurements and projects in real research teams.
- Oulu is a tech hub with established companies, world leaders and start-ups in health care technology.
The Biomedical Engineering programme is organised by internationally recognised research groups in close collaboration with the Oulu University Hospital. Strong connections exist with other health care organisations and the health technology industry.
Explore our excellent facilities
A brand new medical imaging laboratory as well as measurement laboratories are available also for student's use during courses and lab experiments.
Core skills and competence
The programme is highly focused on experimentation, practical work and problem-based learning in its studies and research. In addition to theoretical knowledge, the programme is based on applied research and real-world problems and solutions, which is strengthened by its close links to industry.
Students will get competence on the latest methods, tools and technologies combined with issues such as:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Artificial intelligence in medicine
- Biomechanics and biomaterials
- Biomedical measurements
- Biomedical signal and image processing
- Health technology applications
- Information systems and mobile applications in health care
- Machine learning, deep learning and big data analytics
- Medical device regulation
- Medical electronics
- Medical physics and imaging
- Medical sensor techniques
- Medical software
- Radiation therapy
- Research methods
- Wireless measurements and networks.
The programme is inherently multidisciplinary as it combines the technological and medical expertise of two different faculties, the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering and the Faculty of Medicine.
The study environment is multinational and multilingual, as roughly half of the teaching staff and a significant number of students come from outside of Finland.
Occupational profiles of the graduates
Biomedical Engineering degree provides versatile job opportunities in several domains where medical technology and engineering expertise are needed.
A vast majority of graduates are likely to find their career paths within the industry. An academic career is also a great option.
- Research and Development Engineer in health technology and bioengineering companies.
- Researcher in university and researcher institutes.
- Doctoral Student aiming at professional researcher career.
- Lecturer in universities and professional consulting tasks.
- Medical Engineer or Physicist at hospitals.
- Medical Data Scientist.
- Public official tasks related to the quality control, and management, and establishment of safety standards.
Welcome to Oulu Health Ecosystem
60+ companies operate in the health technology field in Oulu - Oura, Polar Electro, and CGI to name a few. University of Oulu closely cooperates with the ecosystem including the industry and the Oulu University Hospital.
Watch a video
Chat with UniOulu Ambassador
Our student ambassadors are happy to share their study experience with you on three weekdays, Tuesday to Thursday at 2-4 pm UTC+3.
You can start chatting with us by clicking the chat button available on the right side of this page. Remember to accept functional cookies to allow the chat to appear.
Take me to Studyinfo application form
Open university studies
You can also apply to this master's programme on basis of open university studies. Find more information about the courses and criteria below.