Master's in Environmental Engineering
Study in an exciting learning environment at the heart of the green transition and learn to use new technologies and approaches in resource-wise, carbon neutral environmental management.
Environmental Engineering, Master's Programme in Environmental Engineering
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Environmental Engineering
- The Finnish society, University of Oulu and the industry share the common goal of sustainable development as a part of EU's ambitious climate policy and rapid green transition.
- Environmental engineering studies are linked to our university’s collaborative research projects with strategic partners in the green transition.
- The main study options cover all important fields of technology for the green transition: Hydrology and Water Management, Industrial Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Energy Systems.
- We support work-life skills of students of Environmental Engineering by offering a course on job search and employment in Finland.
- You have the advantage of studying in a multidisciplinary university. You may widen your degree with courses in natural sciences, business and human sciences.
The industry-branch-independent, phenomena-based approach of the master's programme in Environmental Engineering provides its students excellent talents to apply their learned skills into the chosen area of environmental engineering.
Core skills and competence
The master's programme includes three different study options to choose from:
- Industrial Environmental Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Hydrology and Water Management.
Industrial Environmental Engineering
Studies in industrial environmental engineering combine process engineering with environmental engineering. The students will gain an understanding of e.g., treatment and utilization of industrial gaseous and liquid emissions and side streams, catalytic processes, sustainability and circular economy, as well as renewable energy production. The students also know how to control, optimize, design and develop processes.
Sustainable Energy Systems
Sustainable Energy Systems focuses on alternative and conventional energy technologies, their societal and environmental impacts and economic benefits. Graduates of the programme will know how to build hybrid renewable energy systems, in which we combine several renewable energy sources and energy storage capabilities to form robust and sustainable energy systems. The energy system can be sized to suit the energy needs of a company, community, or a whole region.
Hydrology and Water Management
Hydrology and Water Management educates the students on the natural hydrological phenomena and causes of environmental loading. Building on this, the students get expertise in water and wastewater treatment, water resources management, groundwater engineering, and environmental impact assessment. In order to practically address and solve complex environmental problems, the curriculum covers a balanced mix of methods for water monitoring and purification, water resource engineering and hydrological modeling.
Programme structure and courses
The programme structure includes an internship period of four months. Internship placement itself relies upon the student’s own activity and success.
Occupational profiles of the graduates
- Chemical Process Designer
- Environmental Engineer
- Water Plant Engineer
- Development Manager
- Energy Specialist
- Environmental Specialist
- Energy Production Engineer
- Production Manager.
Read about eligibility and admissions procedure for this programme, detailed information available at Studyinfo.
The grand challenge of energy transition for motivated students
The expectation is that, in 2050, the energy system will be sustainable, reliable and secure, providing efficient services to citizens and industry.