Master's in Environmental Engineering
Environmental Engineering, Master's Programme in Environmental Engineering
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Environmental Engineering
- The University of Oulu is in the EU region in an operating environment committed to the world's most ambitious climate policy and rapid green transition. The Finnish society, our university and companies have the common goal of sustainable development.
- The main study options cover all important fields of technology for the green transition: Hydrology and Water Management, Industrial Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Energy Systems.
- We aim to offer all students of Environmental Engineering an opportunity to get a paid 3-4-month internship after the first year of studies.
- University of Oulu is involved in the green transition of the EU's largest recovery programme ever. Research projects are ongoing with our strategic partners - companies, research institutes and public authorities.
- You have the advantage of studying in a multidisciplinary university. This means opportunities to widen your degree with courses from disciplines such as life sciences, business studies and human sciences.
The industry-branch-independent, phenomena-based approach of the Master's Programme in Environmental Engineering provides its students excellent talents to apply their learned skills into the different areas of environmental engineering. The studies contain courses on the processes occurring in the different branches of process industry and on the phenomena related to energy systems and cleaner production methods, and give the students abilities to control, optimize, design and develop processes.
"The objective of the Master's Programme of Environmental Engineering is to train creative and co-operative academic professionals for engineering careers and as experts in their own area of specialization. "
Further, the programme will educate the students on the methods for water and waste water treatment, natural phenomena and processes related to water resources and water engineering, the causes of environmental loads, and the different methods, tools and technologies in controlling and reducing harmful environmental effects.
Core skills and competence
The Master's Programme includes three different study options:
- Industrial Environmental Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Hydrology and Water Management.
Industrial Environmental Engineering
Studies in industrial environmental engineering combine process engineering with environmental engineering. The students will gain an understanding of e.g. treatment and utilization of industrial gaseous and liquid emissions and side streams, catalytic processes, sustainability and circular economy, as well as renewable energy production. The students also know how to control, optimize, design and develop processes.
Sustainable Energy Systems
Sustainable Energy Systems focuses on alternative and conventional energy technologies, their societal and environmental impacts and economic benefits. Graduates of the programme will know how to build hybrid renewable energy systems, in which we combine several renewable energy sources and energy storage capabilities to form robust and sustainable energy systems. The energy system can be sized to suit the energy needs of a company, community, or a whole region.
Hydrology and Water Management
Hydrology and Water Management educates the students on the natural hydrological phenomena and causes of environmental loading. Building on this, the students get expertise in water and waste water treatment, water resources management, groundwater engineering, and environmental impact assessment. In order to practically address and solve complex environmental problems, the curriculum covers a balanced mix of methods for water monitoring and purification, water resource engineering and hydrological modeling.
Prgramme structure and courses
Occupational profiles of the graduates
- Chemical Process Designer
- Environmental Engineer
- Water Plant Engineer
- Development Manager
- Energy Specialist
- Environmental Specialist
- Energy Production Engineer
- Production Manager.
The grand challenge of energy transition for motivated students
The expectation is that, in 2050, the energy system will be sustainable, reliable and secure, providing efficient services to citizens and industry.