Master's in Mineral Resources and Sustainable Mining
Programmes are among the few programmes in the world to cover the whole mining value chain from exploration to mining, concentration, refining and closure.
Mineral Resources and Sustainable Mining, Master's programme in Geosciences or Master's programme in Mining Engineering and Mineral Processing
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Mineral Resources and Sustainable Mining
- A rare opportunity to study high level education covering the whole mining value chain.
- University of Oulu is ranked within the top 51-75 universities in Mining & Mineral Engineering in Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022.
- Excellent, cutting-edge infrastructure available for research and education - the latest software and machinery.
- Shared courses in geosciences and engineering, including both theory and practice.
- Work-life related studies in close cooperation with the mining industry. Internship and thesis opportunities offered to students.
Mineral Resources and Sustainable Mining is one of the few programmes in the world which cover the whole mining value chain from exploration to mining, concentration, refining and closure.
The faculty has close collaboration with the industry and teaching is provided by highly experienced and internationally well-regarded teachers. The Oulu Mining School is involved with many high-level EU projects which focus on innovation, developing new methods and refining existing processes.
The unit also has a unique, fully operational small-scale refinery for teaching purposes.
Core skills and competence
Excellent skills in and understanding of sustainable use of mineral resources and principles of sustainable mining and beneficiation, including:
- Theoretical studies in geosciences and engineering
- Economical and environmental aspects of mining
- Hands-on practice in the well-equipped Oulu Mining School Research Centre and in the field
- The latest modelling and simulation education related to the topics
- Instrumental skills in mineral analytics.
Five specialisation options to choose from
Two in Geosciences
Economic Geology focuses on characterisation of mineral deposits and geological processes behind their genesis, forming a basis for mineral exploration.
Quaternary Geology covers a wide range of sub-disciplines including glacial geology, sedimentology, ore prospecting techniques, and hydrogeology.
Three in Mining Engineering and Mineral Processing
Mining Engineering covers a wide range of topics, including geotechnique, mining technologies, analysis of production capacity, and financing.
Mineral Processing deals with the processes to economically separate valuable minerals from the ores.
Applied Geophysics concentrates on the basic phenomena in geophysics and how to apply the knowledge, for example in mineral exploration, mapping and management of natural resources, and in environmental and engineering studies.
Programme structure and courses
Job opportunities exist in all fields related to the mining cycle including:
- Mineral Exploration
- Mineral Processing
- Rock Engineering in both industry and research.
Welcome to Oulu Mining School
The programme is committed to fighting climate change and providing students with social skills and cultural awareness in different cultural and socioeconomic contexts related to mining in in addition to technical engineering expertise.
Read a student testimonial
Chat with UniOulu Ambassadors
Our student ambassadors are happy to share their study experience with you on weekdays, Monday to Friday at 2-4 pm UTC+3.
You can start chatting with us by clicking the chat button available on the right side of this page. Remember to accept functional cookies to allow the chat to appear.