Master's in Software Engineering and Information Systems
Software Engineering and Information Systems, Master's programme in Information Processing Science
Duration of studies
Open university studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Software Engineering and Information Systems
- Unique learning outcomes that focus on either software engineering or information systems - or a combination of both.
- Choose courses according to your interests and enjoy of a flexible range of courses from study fields such as business and humanities.
- Get relevant skills and capabilities for a successful career in the ICT companies or the public sector.
- The quality of content and pedagogical design that combines diverse teaching and assessment methods ensures the highest learning outcomes. Courses are provided by pedagogically highly trained teachers who are experts in their fields.
- Provides the latest and future trends in the industry supported by a dedicated advisory board and by active research collaboration with local and global partners.
Digitalisation is changing our work, businesses, industries, and everyday life with an ever increasing speed and it is affecting us all from babies to the elders.
Are you interested in ensuring that individuals as technology users and their needs are taken into account and act as the starting point in the digital transformation? Would you like to champion in user-centered digitalisation?
The programme will provide the student with relevant, up-to-date skills and capabilities to have a successful future career as a software and ICT expert or manager in a global company or other organisation. We intent to educate advocates of engaging user-centered design interested in innovation, design thinking and building businesses around digital products and services.
The graduating students will have skills to lead multicultural teams, projects and units as well as capabilities to maintain and update their knowledge in the rapidly developing field.
"We are developing unique technical leadership skills on a global scale, which will prepare us to build a career in any international IT organisation." - Hasan
Two study options - choose one or combine both
The programme is dedicated to training world-class experts in two focus areas:
- Software Engineering and
- Information Systems.
The Software Engineering orientation is focused on professional software development approaches for novel innovative systems and services in the rapidly changing and interconnected world. This orientation covers the following topics:
Software development, maintenance and operations
Professional software engineering processes and human factors
Advanced software quality and security
Software platforms and ecosystems
Software for intelligent systems and artificial intelligence (AI)
Software-defined products, systems and services.
The Information Systems orientation emphasises the applications of software systems and ICT solutions. The idea is to find ways to improve organizations and to harness technology to best serve human endeavours and enable innovation. This orientation includes topics, such as:
Digitalisation and innovation
Servitisation, co-creation and business development
User experience (UX) design and management
Societal and individual impacts of information systems
Creating domain value with data
Information systems strategy and leadership.
Core skills and competence
The graduates will acquire solid academic training and essential knowledge and skills to analyse, evaluate and develop solutions related to, for example:
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems
- Dynamics of the software business environment
- Human activities in IT use situations
- Software products and processes
- Digitalisation and digital transformation.
Programme structure and courses
Graduates have the capability to act as independent experts in goal-oriented projects and manage professionally projects in global ICT companies.
Possible titles include:
- Project Manager
- Team Leader
- Chief Technology Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Software Designer/Developer
- User Experience Designer
- Lead Developer
- Senior Software Engineering
- Full-Stack Developer
- Product Owner, Product Manager
- Business Analyst
- Digital Consultant
- Digital Transformation Leader
- Solution Designer
- Data Scientist
- AI Developer.
Read about eligibility and admissions procedure for this programme, detailed information available at Studyinfo.
Welcome to Oulu high-tech hub
Oulu is the fastest growing city region in the Northern Scandinavia with a strong technology focus, a vibrant startup scene and plenty of job openings in the software industry.
Read a student blog
Truc chose Oulu
Take me to Studyinfo application form
Open university studies
You can also apply to this master's programme on basis of open university studies. Find more information about the courses and criteria below.