Master's in Sustainable and Autonomous Systems
This joint programme offers students a different kind of perspective into ICT by combining the expertise of two universities in sustainable energy systems and in smart and autonomous systems.
Master's programme in Sustainable and Autonomous Systems
Duration of studies
Next application period
Top reasons to study Sustainable and Autonomous Systems
- Be at the forefront of enabling a world of sustainable living and more autonomous systems.
- Widen your expertise with complementary and advanced studies, such as electronics, AI, and machine learning.
- Graduates can build robotised solutions for various industries such as production, energy, transportation, and logistics.
- Broaden your opportunities for practical training and employment by utilizing the business networks of both the University of Oulu and University of Vaasa.
- The programme is based on the strengths of the two universities. The University of Vaasa has the knowledge for building sustainable energy systems and the University of Oulu has the expertise in smart and autonomous systems.
Gain a new perspective into ICT
Enabling the world with sustainable living and more autonomous systems requires people who can build it. Autonomous systems, for example robotised, have essential applications, e.g., in energy production and recovery as well as in circular economy. Sustainable and Autonomous Systems gives students a new perspective in ICT and engineering.
Combining the knowledge of two universities, this unique programme educates engineers capable of building sustainable autonomous systems.
The new master's programme combines computer science, real-time embedded systems, wireless communications, computer vision and other environmental sensing, and location awareness. Moreover, aspects of sustainable development related to autonomous systems, energy harvesting, smart cities and communities, as well as cyber security of systems form an integral part of the programme content.
Core skills and competence
The graduates of Sustainable and Autonomous Systems will be able to:
- Apply the advanced knowledge and related technologies of sustainable autonomous systems to conduct research and product development.
- Develop solutions and new knowledge to benefit society and industry while considering sustainable development and engineering ethics.
- Acquire the latest knowledge in one’s own and new fields and use it for product development, research, and specialist tasks.
- Apply the scientific method and follow the state of science in the field of sustainable autonomous systems so that the graduate has sufficient skills for scientific postgraduate studies.
In addition, the graduate has good skills in analytical and critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making, lifelong learning, oral and written communication, team-working in international teams, project management, business thinking, and the use of IT.
Apply to one university to study in both
As a student of Sustainable and Autonomous Systems you can build a unique study path by combining courses from both University of Oulu and University of Vaasa, and thus take on two Finnish universities strong in the field of engineering at the same time.
Leave your application to one university, study in both. The programme is organised in Oulu and Vaasa and the content is the same in both universities. Students can participate in courses offered mainly online to take advantage of the course selection available for them.
Occupational profiles of the graduates
Graduates can build robotised solutions for various industries such as production, energy, transportation, and logistics.
Possible titles include:
- Project Manager
- Research Scientist
- Product Developer
- R&D Engineer.
Leave your impact as a ICT student
University of Oulu is the home for 6G research and innovation and worldwide known for its research in AI and electronics. ICT studies give graduates relevant skills and core knowledge of the latest methods, tools and technologies that significantly impact our daily lives.