Finnish as a foreign language
Who can participate?
Courses are intended for international students and personnel of the University of Oulu. People outside from the University can apply for the courses with Application for non-degree studies . In the year 2023 the Finnish courses of Languages and Communication Unit are free of charge also for outsiders.
Course descriptions, schedules and rooms of the courses and registration information are available in Peppi system and Tuudo application.
Registration for the autumn courses starts at the beginning of August and for the spring courses at the beginning of December, as follows:
- If you are an exchange, degree, or PhD student, use Peppi system or Tuudo application.
- If you are a member of the staff, use the staff training portal Osku.
- If you are not a member of the University, you can apply with Application for non-degree studies . Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information how to apply.
Further information by emailing email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arja Haapakoski, Contact teacher, Languages and Communication
Anne Koskela, Contact teacher, Faculty of Humanities
Languages and Communication
Elementary level (A1)
- 900017Y Survival Finnish Course 2 ECTS
- 900013Y Beginner's Finnish Course 1, 3 ECTS
- 900053Y Beginner's Finnish Course 2, 5 ECTS
Intermediate level (A2)
Advanced level (B1–B2)
- YK00AG41 Finnish for Advanced Students 5 ECTS
- YK00AJ82 Ready, Set, YKI! Prep course for national language test, 3 ECTS
- 900027Y Special Course in Finnish: Writing Skills 3 ECTS
- 900054Y Conversational Skills in Finnish 3 ECTS
- 900065Y Finnish Language Workshop 2 ECTS
- 900022Y Finnish for Teaching 2 ECTS
Faculty of Humanities
Working life Finnish – Minor subject modules
Core Studies (B1–B2)
- HS00AG76 Knowledge of Language Structures 1, 5 ECTS
- HS00AG77 Language Training 1 Finnish Society and Work Communities, 2 ECTS
- HS00AG78 Language Training 2 Culture and Communication in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- HS00AG79 Language Training 3, Professional Expertise and Communication in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- HS00AG80 Language Training 4 Communication in Job Search, 2 ECTS
- HS00AG81 Getting to know Working Life – Orientation to Work-life in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- HS00AG82 Getting to know Working Life – Practical training, 5 ECTS
- Optional courses 5 ECTS (if you want to complete the entire core studies)
Intermediate Studies (B2–C1/C2)
- HS00AG71 Knowledge of Language Structures 1, 5 ECTS
- HS00AG72 Academic Writing and Reading (focus on your own field), 5 ECTS
- HS00AG73 Academic Speaking and Interaction Skills (focus on your own field), 5 ECTS
- HS00AG74 Advanced Practical Training, 5 ECTS
- Additional optional courses 10–15 ECTS (if you want to complete the entire intermediate studies)
Tandem courses (Languages and Communication)
- 903041Y Finnish-German tandem
- 904024Y Finnish-French tandem
- 905046Y Finnish-Japanese tandem
- 905014Y Tandem Finnish-Italian
- 900051Y Tandem Finnish - other language
Read more about Tandem-studies and Café Lingua.