Our admissions team will help you with your questions!
Master's Programme in Biochemistry, Master of Science (2 years)
Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020: #401–500 Human Biological Sciences
In-depth training in understanding structure-function relationships of proteins and their characterisation
Strong focus on practical skills and use of most modern equipment in protein expression and analysis
Highly flexible degree aimed at students with an interest in a research career, taught by an international staff
Education leading to a Master's degree in Protein Science and Biotechnology or Molecular medicine provides the student with the ability to:
- apply scientific knowledge and methods to topical tasks and to undertake scientific research under supervision;
- analyze information and data; place their setting within a theoretical network accompanied by critical reflection and assessment;
- integrate the subject area as a coherent whole;
- communicate with good language skills for national and international tasks;
- demonstrate transferable and cognitive skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and critically about science using a variety of approaches;
- apply further knowledge, including the abilities to conceive, design and implement independent research and
- demonstrate capability for scientific postgraduate work.
The Master’s degree contains altogether 4 - 9 months of compulsory laboratory work spread over different courses. Laboratory skills and modern methods are conveyed to students by teachers who all are active in research work. In general, continuous assessment is in general used on the courses, which means that the final exam of a course is not solely determining the final grade. In addition to, or as part of, lectures activating working methods are used, like problem solving, workshops and seminars.
Significant number of students spend orientation to research work periods outside the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine or carry out the research work for their MSc thesis abroad.
The Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine offers a highly international environment of cutting edge research in Protein Structure analysis, Enzymology, Proteomics, Bioimaging, Developmental Biology, Matrix Biology and Metabolism research. About fifty percent of our staff are native to other countries than Finland, and research groups are well connected globally to other specialists and research groups in their fields of study. Many students holding an M.Sc. from our faculty have gone on to Ph.D. programmes of other prestigious institutions all over the world, and many have stayed at FBMM Oulu to continue in our Ph.D. programme.
The skills gained in the programme offer you the academic training and expertise required to succeed in a research environment, but will also open opportunities in biomedical and related industries.
Successful applicants should hold a B.Sc. or higher degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field in the natural or life sciences and have a good command of technical English language in biochemistry and molecular biology.