Our admissions team will help you with your questions!
Biomedical Engineering, Master of Science (Technology) or Master of Health Sciences (2 years)
Shanghai Ranking´s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020: #151–200 Computer Science & Engineering, #301–400 Medical Technology
Interdisciplinary knowledge in medical and health technologies from theoretical and practical perspective
Capability to design and implement biomedical measurement systems and health applications, and process multimodal biomedical signals and images
Opportunity to modify personal study profile according to your professional interests
The International Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a two-year interdisciplinary programme focusing on biomechanics and medical imaging as well as biomedical signal and image processing. The programme will give you relevant skills and core knowledge of the latest methods, tools and technologies combined with issues such as:
- anatomy and physiology
- biomedical measurements
- medical physics and imaging techniques
- biomedical signal and image processing
- machine learning
- health technology applications
Finland has impressive health technology industry and its health care system is worldwide known. University of Oulu and the OuluHealth innovation ecosystem offer an excellent platform for research and development (R&D). The BME program is organized by internationally recognized high-quality research groups in close collaboration with the Oulu University Hospital. The program and the international research groups have also cooperation with other health care organizations and health technology industry.
"The university is highly focused on research, and new technologies are introduced as they are developed. This makes the environment very suitable for aspiring researchers and scientists."
Master graduate from the BME program typically works in different expert duties in industry, research, education, and health care. He/she may work e.g. as designer, developer, researcher, service provider, or entrepreneur. Typically the tasks involve strong international perspective.
Occupational profiles of the graduates:
- Developing and testing products in the industry as well as marketing and post-marketing support and managerial tasks
- Research, education, and specialist duties in academia and research institutes
- Consulting on the use and procurement of products, evaluation of performance, maintenance, customization of appliances to clinical and research needs in health care units
- Public official tasks related to the quality control, and management, and establishment of safety standards
Students applying for the programme must possess an applicable B.Sc. degree in biomedical engineering, biophysics, physics, computer engineering, computer science, information technology, electrical engineering, control engineering, mechanical engineering, or other related fields.