Research data management
University of Oulu is determined to promote good research data management. The Program of Responsible Research describes the university level principles of good data management and opening of the data sets.
Responsible management of the research data is a prerequisite for high quality research and a strategic goal of the University of Oulu. University supports open access to research data in order to promote transparency and openness in science. In 2019, seven new part-time data specialists provide discipline specific data management support for researchers. University of Oulu actively monitors the opening of the metadata for data sets, as well as the quality and quantities of data management plans.
Instructions for researchers can be found on the Research Data Guide site maintained by the Library. For research data related questions, support is available through the researchdata [at] oulu.fi helpdesk.
Recommendation on the use of Persistent Identifiers (PID) for Research Datasets
Persistent identifier refers to a machine readable unique and persistent identification code of a dataset. The PID leads to a landing page that shows all of the relevant information about a data set, and has a prominent link for downloading the data. The use of a persistent identifier is important as it makes it possible to cite to the research data in a scientific publication. In addition, persistent identifiers promote the visibility of data and open science.
- The University of Oulu recommends that researchers obtain a DOI or URN identifier for research data.
- The University does not produce persistent identifiers for research data. In order to obtain a persistent identifier, it is recommended that research metadata be published on the national Qvain and/or discipline-specific service.
- A dataset may have multiple permanent identifiers, but publications should citate to the landing page, which further links to the actual research data.
- The persistent identifier and the landing page should be retained even if the research data is no longer available.
- The use of Persistent Identifiers for Research Datasets : Recommendation by the Finnish Scientific Community for Open Research.
- University of Oulu’s libguides.