Maija Lanas (PhD) is a senior research fellow and a lecturer in the University of Oulu, the Department of Education, and a docent of teacher education in the University of Helsinki.
Maija's research is both empirical and theoretical, and looks at discourses in school. She looks at questions such as: what do we see as disturbance in school? What is the space we give to love in school? Does teacher education produce social exclusion?
Maija currently supervises four PhD studies and fifteen M.Ed-theses yearly.
Maija keeps a Häiriköt -blog in which she discusses, in Finnish, common school-related issues in a research-based yet understandable manner.
- post-structural and postqualitative theories
- school working culture
- teacher education
- student agency
- teachers and teaching
Professional and community activities
- Research project member: Interrupting Youth Support Systems in the Ethos of Vulnerability (University of Helsinki, Academy of Finland 2017-2022)
- Research project leader: Active equality of youth in school (2018-)
- Research project leader: Exclusionary discursive practices in teacher education (Academy of Finland 2013-2016)
- Research project leader: Revolutionary love in culture of conflict in school (2011-2012)
- Research project (PhD): Finnish school in a northern village context (2007-2011)
- Petäjäniemi, Maria; Lanas, Maija; Kaukko, Mervi (2018) Osallisuus turvaa hakevan reunaehdoissa - Hätämajoitusyksikössä asuvien nuorten turvapaikanhakijamiesten kertomuksia osallisuudesta ja osattomuudesta. - Aikuiskasvatus 38 (1), 4-17 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija (2017) Giving up the lottery ticket : Finnish beginning teacher turnover as a question of discursive boundaries. - Teaching and Teacher Education 68, 68-76 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija; Huuki, Tuija (2017) Thinking beyond student resistance: a difficult assemblage in teacher education. - European journal of teacher education 40 (4), 436-446 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija; Rautio, Pauliina; Koskela, Anne; Kinnunen, Susanna; Viljamaa, Elina; Juutinen, Jaana (2017) Engaging with theoretical diffraction in teacher education. - Discourse : Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education 38 (4), 530-541 . Original: [Original]
- Ahola, Kaisa; Lanas, Maija; Hämäläinen, Anni (2017) Opettaja tukemassa kouluviihtyvyyden ilmapiiriä tunteita navigoimalla. - Kasvatus 48 (4), 288 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija (2017) An argument for love in intercultural education for teacher education. - Intercultural Education 28 (6), 557-570 . [Original]
- Koskela, Anne; Lanas, Maija (2016) Fabricating expert knowledge of the behaviour of problematic students. - Pedagogy, Culture and Society 24 (3), 459-471 . [Original]
- Lansa, Maija (2016) Emerging Emotions in Post-Structural Participant Ethnography in Education. Methodological Advances in Research on Emotion and Education : Part III. Zembylas, Michalinos; Schutz, Paul A.. - Ei sarjaa/No series. Cham, Switzerland. 111-121. [Original]
- Zembylas, Michalinos; Hattam, Robert; Lanas, Maija (2015) Toward pedagogies of ‘Senseless kindness’ in critical education. Pedagogies of kindness and respect : On the lives and education of children. Thomas, Paul L & al.. - Ei sarjaa/No series. New York. 291-304
- Lanas, Maija; Kelchtermans, Geert (2015) This has more to do with who I am than with my skills : Student teacher subjectification in Finnish teacher education. - Teaching and Teacher Education 47, 22-29 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija; Hautala, Marjatta (2015) Kyseenalaistavat sopeutujat : mikropoliittisen lukutaidon opettaminen opettajankoulutuksessa. - Kasvatus 46 (1), 49–60
- Lanas, Maija; Zembylas, Michalinos (2015) Revolutionary love at work in an arctic school with conflicts. - Teaching Education 26 (3), 272-287 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija; Rautio, Pauliina (2014) Reciprocity as relational : two examples of conducting research in Finnish Lapland. Doing educational research in rural settings : methodological issues, international perspectives and practical solutions. White, Simone; Corbett, Michael. - Ei sarjaa/No series. London. 181-192
- Lanas, Maija; Zembylas, Michalinos (2015) Towards a transformational political concept of love in critical education. - Studies in Philosophy and Education 34 (1), 31-44
- Lanas, Maija (2014) Failing intercultural education? : 'thoughtfulness' in intercultural education for student teachers. - European journal of teacher education 37 (2), 171-182 . [Original]
- Lanas, Maija; Kiilakoski, Tomi (2013) Growing pains: teacher becoming a transformative agent. - Pedagogy, Culture and Society 21 (3), 343-360